Pages: 1
Help with a Date Bar Mission
      #27679 - 11/18/03 10:06 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Continued from web page

Quote:

My mission right now is to find a (really) low fat recipe for oatmeal date bars. Found one that was Weight Watchers (see below) but still uses to much fat for me. Any suggestions before I make a million batches that are so bad I have to throw them out to the birds?

How'd we get off on this subject?

This obviously needs to be on the recipe board not here.

Before IBS I was ready to turn my kitchen into a closet !!!!

Kandee
---------------------
Oatmeal-Date Bars
From Weight Watchers Magazine, January/February 1998

1 1/2 cups chopped dates
3/4 cup water
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (my thinking is this is a bit much for our IBS type tummies)
1/3 cup stick margarine, softened
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup regular oats
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.

2. Combine dates, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.

3. Cream margarine. Gradually add brown sugar, beating at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla; beat well. Combine oats and next 3 ingredients; stir well. Add oat mixture to creamed mixture, stirring until mixture resembles coarse meal.

4. Press 2 cups oat mixture evenly into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray; set remaining oat mixture aside. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

Yield: 16 bars (serving size: 1 bar).

Note: Store remaining bars into an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.

Per serving: CAL159 (24 % from fat); PRO 2 g; FAT 4.3 g (SAT 0.8 g); CARB 29.7 g; FIB 2.3 g; CHOL 0 mg; IRON 0.9 mg; SOD 92 mg; CALC 19 mg.

The lemon juice should be okay.

Do you think replacing the margarine with canola oil will work? And if you want even less, just cut it back?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help with a Date Bar Mission new
      #27710 - 11/18/03 12:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Wow, these sound good. Like the date bars my Grams used to make, which I haven't had for years.

I think the lemon juice is just fine too. For the margarine, since it's supposed to be creamed, oil probably won't be a good sub here. But I'd guess you could use Soy Garden or some such and drop the quantity to 1/4 cup and still get good results. The recipe is only 24% fat right now - that's pretty good. Decreasing the margarine that extra bit will help even more. And I'd make sure the dates are really finely chopped.

Let me know how these come out!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#27800 - 11/19/03 06:18 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

Haha! So funny that you asked that. I made these w/ raisin for my boyfriend a few weeks ago... I was trying to create a less costly Cliff Bar... )

ingredients

1/2 c margarine, softened
1/2 c applesauce
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 c egg sub or 4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups QuakerŽ Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 finely chopped dates

preparation
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and applesauce; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and dates; mix well.

Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered,24 BARS

OPTIONAL -- stir in 1/2 chopped pecans

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#27810 - 11/19/03 08:54 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Watch out for the butter in this recipe. Take a look at Heather's reply in this same thread on how to substitute the butter.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#27894 - 11/19/03 11:22 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

yes, i read her thread. i assumed that mags2003 would know that she needed to use a soy product here, since heather specified that...

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 324 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4571

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review