All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Suggestions for easy snacks with protein for kids?
      #275882 - 07/27/06 11:53 AM
DonnaW

Reged: 07/27/06

Hi,

I'm new to the message board, but have been following the IBS diet for a couple years! What a difference it has made in my life! Thanks, Heather. I've passed my knowledge on to several friends who were suffering as well. They were very grateful.

I have a friend looking for simple snacks for her son that are IBS safe AND wheat free AND are good sources of protein. Any suggestions! She's desparate!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Suggestions for easy snacks with protein for kids? new
      #275920 - 07/27/06 02:18 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I always found that the best way to get protein in is with legumes.

Try hummus with pita bread. You can find many different kinds, and I've loved it since I was a kid.

Also, you can put tofu into just about everything (smoothies, cakes, ice cream, brownies).

Also, try edamame. They're just soybeans, in the shell. I found I am able to tolerate them quite well raw, if I chew them well.

#275941 - 07/27/06 05:01 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

This has always been my favorite hummus recipe. I don't like the store brand ones. The only better one that I have is from an arabic restaurant no longer here His was FABulous to die for, but this one is next best and worth making:

Serves 6-8

Humus is a chickpea paté of Middle Eastern origins. Use the slightly spicy, rich spread for sandwiches or wraps or as a dip with pita bread and fresh firm raw veggies, such as red, orange, or yellow peppers, or celery. Canned chickpeas are fine, but if you have the time, try using the chickpeas from the Bulk department. For variety, add roasted peppers to the purée.

11/2 cups dry chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/4tsp. baking soda
3 cloves garlic
11/2 tsp. salt
Juice from 2 fresh lemons
3/4cup tahini
1/4cup finely minced parsley
Dash cayenne
Dash tamari
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4cup minced scallions

Soak the chickpeas with the baking soda in water to cover overnight. Drain and rinse several times. In a large pot, cover chickpeas with fresh water, bring to boil, cover and simmer 11/2 hours. Drain.

Combine all ingredients except scallions in a food processor bowl, and process until smooth. Chill thoroughly. When ready to serve, stir in scallions, reserving a few for garnish on top.

—Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen

Edited by chupie (07/27/06 05:02 PM)

#275950 - 07/27/06 05:43 PM
DonnaW

Reged: 07/27/06

Thanks! I love hummus! Unfortunately I forgot to mention the little guy can't do tofu and legumes seem to be a problem at the moment. Any other suggestions?

#275961 - 07/27/06 06:42 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

How about turkey rolled inside a pita, maybe with some thinly sliced veggies and some mustard or non-fat mayo? Heather's tuna melt recipe is absolutely fantastic, but that's more of a meal than a snack. Smoked salmon on a bagel is also a tasty treat, but you might have to have grown up in a household where everyone eats smoked fish for that to be acceptable to a kid.

--AC

#282187 - 09/14/06 07:44 AM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

How about a tortilla with peanut butter? I go for peanut butter or soymilk when I need protein fast.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3731

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review