All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hi everyone! I have three recipes I'd like to share with all of you
      #274217 - 07/16/06 10:58 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Hi everyone, long time no chat. I've been very busy, stressed, tired, busy, sick, stressed, tired... etc. I had a few very successful (imho) recipes that I cooked recently that I wanted to share with everyone. The BF enjoyed these recipes also, although he still prefers his dairy ice cream treats over my soy milk hehe. Anyway, the following are three recipes I kind of made up myself. One is a smoothie recipe and the other is actually a pizza recipe with two variations. Sorry if I get kind of rambly, but if you try them out, please let me know how they turned out for you. Lots of love and luck to all of you. Btw, these recipes are copied and pasted as I posted them on Recipezaar and I got lazy and didn't feel like deleting my introduction to each recipe.

Here they are:

The "Sommer" Smoothie

All ingredients are approximations and I basically used what I had on hand and an ingredient that was leftover from dinner, but wasn't enough to save.

I call this The "Sommer" Smoothie for two reasons. The first is because that is how my name is spelled, even though it's pronounced like the season and the second is because it is my own creation. It is definitely Summertime, too! I made up this smoothie myself using ingredients I had on hand and a couple that were leftovers from dinner that night, but weren't enough to save and I didn't want to waste yummy fruit. This smoothie is not only dairy-free, but has fruit and chocolate in it. I completely eye-balled the ingredients, but I have approximated them to the best of my ability here. I had this for dessert, but it makes a great snack, brunch, or breakfast drink. This ended up making about 20oz or so, and I had enough for a yummy dessert that night and froze the leftovers. I thawed the smoothie for a few hours in the fridge the next morning and then on the counter for another hour or so and had a tasty mid-morning snack. The ingredients can be varied in amounts and type to suit your needs and tastes. My bf liked it, but he's not a soy milk fan. I don't have much of a choice, lol, as I have to be careful about dairy. I just love this drink. I've actually made many combinations just from learning what flavors work together.

1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk (my favorite is Silk brand)
1 large banana
3/4 to 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries
3/4 to 1 cup of frozen raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries
2 1/2 Tbsp Hershey's chocolate syrup (Hershey's brand is dairy-free)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup pineapple chunks, reserve juice
1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice

Place all ingredients into a blender.

Blend until ingredients are a smoothie consistency. Pour into a large glass and sip through a straw or enjoy without a straw, whichever you prefer.

Note: I also added to this smoothie one scoop of Citrucel Clear Mix fiber supplement. This is totally optional of course. If you want, you might even try adding in your favorite powdered nutritional supplement instead, like protein powder, for example, but I don't know how anything else would affect the taste of the smoothie. I know the Citrucel Clear Mix doesn't affect the taste at all and blends in well.

(I'm also going to try mango today.).

IBS-Friendly Pizza (English Muffin and Sourdough)

I have IBS and therefore am not supposed to eat red meat, dairy products, etc., but sometimes I have to work with what I have and what I can afford. I was really craving pizza last night so I created this recipe for myself and my bf. We sometimes try to splurge and he gets his real pepperoni and real cheese on his pizza and I get my substitutions, but this time, I couldn't afford it, nor could I afford ordering out, so I just made them partly homemade and he said he really liked them. The first variation is made with plain English Muffins. The second is made with Extra Sourdough bread. We've actually already had the muffin pizzas twice this week, and I had the second variation last night because we were out of muffins. I used Extra Sourdough bread because it needed to be used up before it went bad, but regular Sourdough bread should work just as well. French bread should also work just fine, as a variation, but I have only included two. Of course, add any additional toppings you prefer or change the amounts or cooking time to your tastes. I was just really going for a simple pizza. Mine was pepperoni and pineapple, the bf's was pepperoni only.

2 plain English Muffins, split
1 8oz can of plain tomato sauce
1-2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 6oz package of turkey pepperoni
1 6oz can pineapple chunks
3/4 - 1 cup shredded soy cheddar, jack, and mozzzarella blend (Soy-Sation is a great brand)

Preheat oven to between 425-450 degrees F.

Open the can of tomato sauce and add to it the desired amount of Italian seasoning and stir well.

Spread desired amount of tomato sauce mixture on both sides of split English muffin halves.

Top each half with desired amount of pepperoni, pineapple, or any other toppings you prefer. Make sure the pineapple is drained, but you can choose to save the juice. (I did and used it later on in a smoothie.) Do not add the cheese yet!

Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place English muffin pizzas about an inch apart. Place baking sheet in preheated oven.

Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes depending on how crispy or well-done you like your pizza and the toppings.

When cooked to your liking, turn the oven temperature down to about 250 degrees F. Cheese may come out of package lumped together, which is fine and normal when it's cold; just place the desired amount on top of the pizzas and press down gently. I think that the three-cheese blend of cheddar, jack, and mozzarella flavors are really nice.

Put pizzas back into oven for an additional 2-5mins watching very carefully as soy cheese melts differently than regular cheese.

This particular English muffin pizza recipe was made for two (we had store-bought chicken wings on the side) so there will be leftover muffins, sauce, cheese, pepperoni, pineapple, and possibly any other toppings you chose to add. Just save the remaining sauce in the can covered with plastic wrap. Wrap up any other leftover toppings. The next time around, stir the tomato sauce, add any additional Italian seasoning if you prefer, and make your pizzas as described.

For the (Extra) Sourdough bread pizzas, substitute each muffin half for one slice of bread. Follow the directions as above. Two slices of the Extra Sourdough bread pizza served one.

Cooking times and oven temperatures may vary due to altitude and desired doneness. You or yours may also prefer a certain quantity of toppings that will affect the cooking time or how much is leftover. Any additional toppings may add to prep and cooking time also.

This would be a great lunch or weekend dinner "project" to help teach your kids about kitchen and cooking safety and have fun too, and they can make their even make their own pizzas.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review