All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tofu Phobia
      #27381 - 11/17/03 05:25 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

I feel totally foreign to the idea of using tofu! It actually scares me some to even think of trying to use it. So many recipes appeal to me and I'd love to try them but I haven't got the slightest idea of how to use tofu. How to buy it---there seems to be many different kinds, or how to "work" with it in a recipe--do you melt it, chop it up, blend it??? I've done a search on it, but just find topics relating to it being hard to "adjust" to for some. I'm actually quite a good baker and it makes me feel quite dumb that I cannot get myself confident enough to try using tofu? Any info on the matter would be appreciated. I really would like to try many of these tofu recipes!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tofu Phobia new
      #27436 - 11/17/03 10:14 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - I know what you mean. Most of the recipes I find are for 'silken' style tofu. I bought some Nasoya Lite, and now I don't know what to do with it! LOL

Anyway, I just try to go by what the recipe is calling for. Heather talked a little bit about it here: web page

I just did a quick search on google.com & found this: http://www.tofu.com/whatis.html They have a link for recipes too, so you can probably browse through & get a general idea of which type is used for what type of cooking.

Tofu gets a Trophy new
      #27481 - 11/17/03 11:31 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

TOFU is AWESOME! I often make lasagnas, cheescakes, and pies with it... no one can ever tell the difference. Give it a try

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: Shanna new
      #27486 - 11/17/03 11:46 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

You have any good pie recipes that use tofu? It seems like you have quite the recipe collection.

#27523 - 11/17/03 02:25 PM
Shanna

i have many pie recipes using tofu...

yes, i love baking and cooking. i am always experimenting with something! my friends and family are well fed...

--------------------

Pies new
      #27525 - 11/17/03 02:32 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Torbetta, here are a bunch of pies made with tofu. They all look really yummy to me!

http://www.recipezaar.com/browse/index.zsp?pg=1&path=05F12D057033

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#27527 - 11/17/03 02:35 PM
Shanna

As for pie recipes using tofu, here is a good one adapted from a whole foods Whole Foods Website... mine is IBS friendly...

Pecan Pie with Tofu Whipped Cream

1 unbaked, prepared 9-inch pie crust (lower fat variety)
2 TB soy butter
3/4 c egg substitutes or 6 egg whites (also = 3/4 c)
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1 cup pecan pieces
1/2 c dates (dried, cut into samll peices)

Melt butter and let cool. Preheat oven to 400°F. Beat eggs in a mixing bowl with a wire whisk or rotary beater. Beat in honey, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Add cooled butter, dates, and nuts. Pour into pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350°F and bake another 25 minutes, until set but not dry. Cool to room temperature before serving. Top with Tofu Whipped Cream (Scroll Down).

Tofu "Whipped Cream"

makes 1 cup

1 pound tofu
3 TB sesame tahini or almond butter
3 TB maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
soymilk as needed

Boil tofu in water for 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add soymilk if "whipped cream" seems too thick, but add sparingly. For best results, chill for at least 1 hour; however, I recommend allowing it to chill for three hours or overnight.

--------------------

PECAN PIE RECIPE IN MESSAGE ABOVE new
      #27528 - 11/17/03 02:36 PM
Shanna

--------------------

#31421 - 12/11/03 02:31 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Have you made this pie before? I have made pecan pie a few times using egg whites and it makes the pie rise and if you don't watch it, it starts overflowing. I did something today that seemed to prevent it but I'm not sure if this is the real answer. I took it out when it started doing this (about an hour) and let it sit for a few minutes till it started going down. I stuck it in the oven and baked it 5 to 10 minutes longer.

Is there an easier way? I did use the recipe from Eating for IBS, which is similar. Maybe a deep dish pie plate would work even better. The first time I made the pecan pie with the egg whites my husband said it looked like an alien thing. This one still looks funny with the cracks.

#31506 - 12/11/03 10:02 PM
Shanna

you could use egg substitute or real eggs... a few spread over a whole pie probably won't affect you (but that is totally your call)... or use a deep dish pie dish (which is what I do).

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5846

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review