All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone have a good recipe for homemade flour tortillas???
      #273210 - 07/09/06 03:19 PM
tayjay

Reged: 11/28/05
Loc: Auburn University, Alabama

Lately I've been on this kick to make everything from scratch. Fun huh Does anyone have a safe recipe for flour tortillas? All the recipes I can find have heavy oils and fats in them (a.k.a. vegetable shortening, etc.) Any ideas?

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone have a good recipe for homemade flour tortillas??? new
      #273215 - 07/09/06 04:53 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I love homemade tortillas so I'm always looking for recipes. I have one in one of my cookbooks but there is a lot of wait time. I'll see if I can type it out. Here's on that I made earlier this week. It was good other than I used baking soda instead of powder lol. web page You can change the serving size on that website if you don't want 5 dz. I did but didn't make enough so I had to make more.

INGREDIENTS:
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons shortening ~ I used oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups boiling water

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening to resemble cornmeal. Add water slowly, mixing with your hands to make a soft dough. You may not need all the water.
Knead a few minutes on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Lubricate top with oil, put back in bowl and let rest, covered for 10 minutes.
Divide into small balls the size of golf balls and proceed to roll out into size and thickness you prefer.
Cook on top of stove over medium heat using a cast iron grill or heavy skillet until top is slightly bubbly then turning on opposite side for a minute or two.
Keep stacked and warm inside a clean dish towel.

Makes 5 dz

This is my favorite new
      #273216 - 07/09/06 05:08 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Healthy Flour Tortillas

4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tablespoon canola oil
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cup of water

Sift flour and baking powder together. Remove 1/2 cup of mixture and blend canola oil into it using a fork. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze 1 to 2 hrs.

Use a large blending fork to mix the cold flour-oil mixture (taken directly from the freezer) into the dry flour mixture until resembles pastry crumbs. Mix the salt into the warm water. Drizzle over flour; blend. Mold into a soft ball of dough. Knead dough for 1 minute right in the bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rest for 30 min to 2 hours at room temperature.

Oil a jelly roll pan. Form dough into 14 balls. Flattne boalls into 3-inch rounds. Let them rest for 30 min, covered in plastic wrap so they don't dry out. Resting not only mellows the doughbut relaxes it, making it easier to roll into tortillas.

Preheat griddle. Dust floured board and place tortilla round in center. Roll into larer circle, rolling from cener outwards. Make a quarter turn of the tortilla after eachtwo strokes. This will keep the tortilla round instead of being shaped like a violin.

Roll your tortillas into 8-in circles. Use your fingers to stretch to 10-inch circles. Hold the tortilla on top of palm while you draw fingers of the other hand underneath the tortilla, stretching it.

Place tortilla on preheated griddle. Turn over 10 sec until light brown freckles form and tortilla puffs in spots. Turn 4 or 5 times. When tortilla stops puffing, it is done. Makes 12 to 14flour tortillas.

157 calories
4 g protein
27 g carbohydrate
4 g fat
0 mg cholesterol
211 mg sodium

Taken from Healthy Mexican Cook book

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4881

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review