All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Whoopie Pies!
      #267688 - 06/05/06 09:13 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Up here in Maine - well, it might be a New England thing, but whatever - we have these treats called Whoopie Pies. They're basically 2 cakey "cookies" sandwiched with overly sweet icing, and no self-respecting diner, gas station, or bake sale would be caught dead without them. The problem, of course, is that a full-size Pie weighs almost a pound, has roughly 900 calories and 54 grams of fat - and I'm not even exaggerating!

My dad found a recipe in the latest Prevention - lightened up and made a much more reasonable size, IBSers can safely enjoy them too. I'm a little "eh" about the marshmallow filling - look in the recipe index for Seven Minute Frosting, which would be a good substitute.

Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 5 min

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup IBS-safe margarine, softened
1 egg white
1/2 cup reduced fat soy milk
3/4 cup marshmallow creme (Fluff)

Preheat oven to 425.

In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.

In large bowl, combine sugar, margarine, and egg white. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat 2 minutes or until fluffy. Stir in flour mixture, then milk, until just blended.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto large ungreased cookie sheets to make 32 cookies. Bake 5 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.

Place baking sheets on racks to cool completely. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the marshmallow on bottoms of 16 cookies. Top with remaining 16 cookies.

Makes 16. Per pie: 97 cal, 3g fat.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Oh, my. These sound dangerously delicious! -nt- new
      #267691 - 06/05/06 09:21 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Whoopie Pies! new
      #267694 - 06/05/06 09:43 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh.... I'm soooo droolin over these...and just in case someone does not know what they look like... here ya go!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#267719 - 06/05/06 12:07 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Casey,

I have seen these everywhere and thank goodness I have never tried one. I had no idea they had so many calories and grams of fat. Yikes! An IBS'ers nightmare.

Your version sounds really good. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks

--------------------
Janey

#267734 - 06/05/06 01:55 PM
bubbagirl

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Melbourne Fla.

these sound like they would be a real treat!!! I agree the icing filling sounds it might be better to cut down on the sweetness. Thanks for the receipe

#267829 - 06/06/06 06:44 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

You are pure evil you know that? Just kidding! One of my fond memeories of my childhood up where you live. My gandma made the best whoopie pies and I haven't even attempted them since I started this ibs diet. That is it, I'm going to have to make these wonderful things for the girls. Yeah ! Thank you ! And I am sure the frosting would be closer to the real thing too. Guess what I am going to make now? Hope Zoe lets me lol.

#268298 - 06/08/06 10:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Haha... I AM pure evil... I figure, if I'm gonna be fat, I'm gonna take everyone else down with me! LOL

I thought of you as soon as I posted these, and hoped you'd see them, because I figured you knew all about the whoopie pies. The really weird thing is that I can eat a commercial whoopie pie - well, ok, 1/2 of one - and it doesn't trigger me, and I'm really sensitive to fats normally. But now that I have a safe recipe, I'm done tempting fate.

#268366 - 06/08/06 04:56 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I still haven't made them because I was completely out of flour. I guess preggo brain got me because I thought I had more. I was planning on making them today but I made play dough for Zoe. I was thinking about making them tonight but my feet hurt so I think I'll be lazy.

I did go looking for my grandma's recipe and found it. The cakes took 1/2 cup of crisco and 2 egg yolks and the cream filling had 1/2 cup of crisco and 2 egg white that wasn't cooked. I always wanted to try and alter her recipe but never tried. I'll have to make these and suprise my mom sometime too. She loved them.

Casey new
      #268558 - 06/09/06 06:01 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I was in the gas station today and saw Whoopie Pies. What exactly is in the middle?

--------------------
Janey

What was in the center of the Old Whoopie Pies? new
      #268562 - 06/09/06 06:21 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Heidi Posted this........

Quote:

I did go looking for my grandma's recipe and found it. The cakes took 1/2 cup of crisco and 2 egg yolks and the cream filling had 1/2 cup of crisco and 2 egg white that wasn't cooked. I always wanted to try and alter her recipe but never tried. I'll have to make these and suprise my mom sometime too. She loved them.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17735

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review