Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Low Fat Pastry Pie Crust
      #26177 - 11/08/03 09:23 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Low Fat Pastry Pie Crust
This makes enough for one single crust pie shell.

• 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup rice/soy milk (fat free)
• 3 tablespoons canola oil

In a mixing bowl, combines flour and salt. Mix milk and oil together and add to flour mixture all at once. Stir with a fork until dough forms. Form into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough and roll into a 12 inch circle. Ease pastry into a 9 inch pie plate. Trim pastry to ½ inch beyond edge of plate. Fold under extra pastry and crimp edge as desired.

For baked pie crust:
Prick bottom and sides of pastry generously with the tines of a fork. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack.

After many requests and much experimentation and trying many, many recipes, this is as good as it gets for good low fat pastry. Best bet for keeping the fat down in two crust pies is to use this for the bottom pastry and use some type of low fat crumb topping or a few pastry cut-outs to replace a full upper crust.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you! new
      #26390 - 11/10/03 02:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'll have to try this. Finding a good low fat pastry pie crust has been a quest for a while. I haven't liked any that I've tried so far. I'll definitely check this out!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Low Fat Pastry Pie Crust new
      #28604 - 11/23/03 09:48 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

If I were making a pumpkin, pecan, or double decker pie, would I bake the crust first and then bake it w/ the ingredients? Thanks SO much for this recipe!!!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: Low Fat Pastry Pie Crust new
      #29181 - 11/26/03 02:05 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Karin the dough was dry and crumbling. It took a lot of effort to get it rolled out. Is this normal? Could I have added a bit more soymilk to the dough? I was afraid of overworking the dough but maybe I should have mixed it even more. Meike was having fun with the leftover dough and it seemed a bit more pliable for her. I am interested in seeing how it tastes.

Re: Thank you! new
      #280102 - 08/27/06 05:21 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

So did anyone find this worked pretty well?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review