All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
CousCous Cake
      #256583 - 04/05/06 04:50 PM
LilPaisley

Reged: 04/05/06
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I am a newly diagnosed w/ IBS and am still reading Heather's books...so I have a general question about if this would be safe. Seems like it would to me, but wanted a more experienced answer. Would this be safe? If not what would be a trigger?

A girl at work told me about these and they seem yummy:
Blueberry Couscous Cake Recipe
Ingredients
6 cups apple juice
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 cups couscous
1 pint blueberries

Instructions
Pick over blueberries, wash and set on paper towels to dry.

Combine apple juice, vanilla, and couscous in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened and all juice absorbed. Remove from heat. Gently fold the blueberries into hot mix.

Rinse, but don't dry, a 9 x 14-inch cake pan and pour the mix into it. Chill until set, about 2 hours. Cut into squares.

Variations:
Use strawberries in place of blueberries, top with unsweetened fruit jam thinned with a little water, arrange fruit slices on top for decoration.

Yield: 18 - 24 servings

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CousCous Cake new
      #256610 - 04/05/06 06:58 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Apple juice *can* be problematic for some people, but with all the soluble fiber in the couscous, that might be enough to cushion it even if you happen to be sensitive to it. I'd give it a try.

You might also find that the blueberries are a bit "much" for your system if you're just starting the diet and haven't started stabilizing yet. If you try it and it seems to bother you, try it again with a soluble fiber fruit - peeled, diced baked apple, for example - or wait and try it again when your system is a little more stable.

Re: CousCous Cake new
      #256660 - 04/06/06 06:53 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

This looks interesting. Have you actually tried it yet? Let us know when you do!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

For what it's worth... new
      #256693 - 04/06/06 08:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I tried a similar couscous cake years ago, and it was terrible - like eating flavorless bricks. BUT that recipe didn't have fresh fruit in it, so I'm betting the flavor and texture will be much better with this recipe.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2216

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review