All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Blueberry Coffee Cake
      #256006 - 04/03/06 04:01 PM
mrsbunker

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Minnesota

I made this & I think it's really good! It's kind of gooey! Got it from Pastry.com

Butter flavored cooking spray
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 egg whites
1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk (Used 1 tbsp + a short 1 tsp vineger added 1 1/4 cups soy milk let stand for 5 min.)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries (used Canned)

Crumb Topping:
1 cup flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbs. plain nonfat yogurt(used 2 1/2 tbs light soy butter)
Preheat oven to 325. Spay a 13 x 9 in baking pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, mix together 2 1/2 cups of flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 cup brown sugar. Add egg whites, buttermilk, vanilla, and blueberries and mix well. Spread batter in pan evenly. Bake for 25 minutes.

Crumb Topping:
Combine flour, salt, brown sugar, and yogurt in a medium sized bowl and mix until crumbly.

After coffee cake has baked for 25 minutes remove from oven and sprinkle with crumb mixture. Return coffee cake to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Cool cake before serving.

--------------------
Judy

Edited by mrsbunker (04/03/06 04:04 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Okay, I must have done something wrong (m) new
      #270538 - 06/22/06 09:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made this today and the cake part tasted fine, but it didn't really rise and was awfully dense. The baking powder I used was fine 3 days ago when I made pancakes with it, so I don't think that could be it.

The topping was way too flour-y. I used soy sour cream instead of soy yogurt. Is it possible that just wasn't enough liquid?

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Okay, I must have done something wrong (m) new
      #270553 - 06/22/06 11:03 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Quote:

I made this today and the cake part tasted fine, but it didn't really rise and was awfully dense. The baking powder I used was fine 3 days ago when I made pancakes with it, so I don't think that could be it.

Because of the buttermilk in it (well, or vinegar, I guess), I would think that you also need some baking soda.

Quote:

The topping was way too flour-y. I used soy sour cream instead of soy yogurt. Is it possible that just wasn't enough liquid?

I make "crumb" toppings like this quite a bit and I always use firm margarine -- it doesn't really become all nice and crumby if you try to use something liquidy/gloppy. I can't imagine how the yogurt would've worked that well. I once accidentally melted the margarine before making a crumb topping and it was a mess. The margarine was melted to about yogurt consistency so that's why I'm not seeing how the yogurt would work. The person who posted the recipe said they used a butter sub instead and I think that'd be the best way to go.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Hmmm. new
      #270589 - 06/22/06 03:11 PM
Sand

Quote:

Quote:

Because of the buttermilk in it (well, or vinegar, I guess), I would think that you also need some baking soda.

Thanks. I double-checked the recipe and there's no baking soda to be seen. At least I know my eyes aren't going. I'm not much for free-form ingredient changes, so I'll just back quietly away from this recipe and go back to blueberry pancakes, blueberry muffins, and blueberry lemon pikelets.

Quote:

Quote:

I make "crumb" toppings like this quite a bit and I always use firm margarine -- it doesn't really become all nice and crumby if you try to use something liquidy/gloppy. I can't imagine how the yogurt would've worked that well. I once accidentally melted the margarine before making a crumb topping and it was a mess. The margarine was melted to about yogurt consistency so that's why I'm not seeing how the yogurt would work. The person who posted the recipe said they used a butter sub instead and I think that'd be the best way to go.

The problem with my topping was that it was too crumbly. Well, actually, too floury. My sense was that there wasn't enough goo - or brown sugar either for that matter - for the amount of flour. That's why I thought the yogurt might have worked better since it would have been more liquidy. I think I can see what you're saying though - more liquid would just have made mud. If I did ever make this cake again, I think I'd just use the topping for Heather's Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread. I can get that one to work.

Thanks, Jen.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Okay, I must have done something wrong (m) new
      #276286 - 07/30/06 09:13 AM
mrsbunker

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks.

Yes, I've made this! It's been awhile since I've made it, but I believe it did rise for me & it was gooey & dense, but I did like it. As for the topping I used soy butter instead of the yogart I guess I can't see making a topping like that with yogart or sour cream I think it would get rather pastey try using the soy butter or smart balance light or what ever you use. As far as the cake part being dense & gooey, I think that kind of goes with low fat food, if it had more fat in it I think it would be fluffier, but we can't have the fat

--------------------
Judy

Thanks! -nt- new
      #276288 - 07/30/06 09:21 AM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3463

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review