All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Nothin'-to-It Muffins
      #25233 - 11/02/03 05:38 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Another from the 11/3/03 First for Women......

Nothin'-to-It Muffins

2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1/4 cup canola oil or applesauce or combo of both
1 cup of any dairy product from Column A
Any flavoring from Column B
1/2 cup of any add-in from Column C

Heat oven to 350ºF. In bowl, combine first 4 ingredients. In separate bowl, whisk together next 4 ingredients. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture. Fold in add-in. Scoop into 12 muffin tins sprayed with non-stick spray and bake 25 min, or until golden brown.

Column A:
soy yogurt
1 cup soy milk mixed with 1 tablespoon of vinegar to make 'buttermilk'
soy milk

Column B:
1 tsp ground cinnamon
zest of 1 orange
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Column C:
blueberries
chopped nuts
dried cranberries
diced fresh fruit
chopped candied ginger

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sounds great - love the variety you can make!-nt- new
      #25270 - 11/02/03 11:05 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ginger-Nut-Spice new
      #110491 - 10/05/04 05:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I made these this morning, using vanilla rice milk for Column A, cinnamon for Column B, and equal parts chopped candied ginger and chopped walnuts for Column C. I also substituted fruit medley babyfood for the oil/applesauce. They are *tasty* and really moist.

The only thing I'd change for next time is to increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees... I baked them almost 35 minutes, and they still wouldn't brown, and the insides were so moist, they almost seemed unbaked. Most of my muffin recipes call for a 400 oven anyway, so I'll try that next time.

But the recipe's a winner - thanks for posting that, Mags!

Re: Nothin'-to-It Muffins new
      #110651 - 10/05/04 06:48 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

this looks very useful!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Made these last night... new
      #110761 - 10/06/04 09:07 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

and I used a black pan (vs. stainless steel) and baked at 400. They came out perfect!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Easy and Delicious new
      #168710 - 04/10/05 12:44 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made these yesterday morning, using 1 cup of rice milk soured with 1 Tablespoon of vinegar for the Column A dairy; 3 teaspoons of lemon peel (dried kind, sold as spice) as Column B flavoring, and a generous 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries as Column C add-in.

I tried baking some with paper liners and some with just Pam, and the ones with just Pam came out much better - the ones in paper really stuck and they didn't seem to get as brown. I baked them at 400 degrees. They were done after 25 minutes, but if you let them go another 3-5 minutes, they get sort of crunchy around the edges and on top and I really like that.

The best news of all was that I took half the batter (without blueberries) and put it in the fridge overnight. It made great muffins the next morning, too. Since 12 muffins is a lot for us to eat before they go bad, it's nice to know the batter will wait a while for us - and I can make a different flavor the second go-round.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Nothin'-to-It Muffins new
      #168728 - 04/10/05 03:30 PM
Ganny

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Oregon, USA

Melissa, do you know a way around egg anything? Eggs and cow's milk get me. I can do some here and there. I make awesome muffins using those carton egg whites (just one or two per recipe), raisins (soaked to plump) and ground flaxseed. Before this current attack I had to have stuff like this plus a vege salad to "go." Gad, I'm getting out of here. I'm SO hungry, but if I eat....well, you know what happens. I can't seem to pull out of this "infection" as yet. However, yesterday the "flu" feeling did finally leave, and I had energy (barely any food, just clear liquids, for 1.5 weeks) so I got a large laundry done plus some other stuff around here! Didn't get enough sleep last night, and I'm SO tired today, and muscles hurt so (from FMS making me very sensitive). I'd been quiet for some time so making all those trips to laundry room plus other stuff was a bit "simple-minded" on my part. I never know when I'll have a "good" day so I grab when I can. I need to get back to walking asap (soon as I can trust my body)!

Anyway, I'm hungry so I'm getting out of the recipes and kitchen!

Thanks for recipe! I'll try it. If you want my flaxseed recipe I'll post it. It's excellent to control blood lipids as it's rich in iomega essential oils (adjust to tolerance).

Lindsay wishing she could eat anything she wanted whenever!

stupid question! new
      #168816 - 04/11/05 04:32 AM
Jellies

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Liverpool England

Hi

This is my first time on the exchange board as I have only recently been diagnised, so please forgive my ignorance. the recipies i have seen so far sound fab but I am having a little difficulty in understanding some of the measurements! how much is 1 cup?? cooking itself is a new experience for me so appreciate your help.
thanks steph

Re: stupid question! new
      #168838 - 04/11/05 06:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome! This Website is a great place for anyone with IBS.

And it's not a stupid question; it's just the way things are. This morning, while I was making muffins yet again, I was wondering if the simple cooking skills I managed to learn (very reluctantly) were in danger of being lost because fewer and fewer people seem to cook these days. I guess I'm psychic, because as soon as I finished breakfast and logged into the Board, there you were.

You need a set of measuring cups and a set of measuring spoons - normally the cups and spoons you eat with aren't accurate enough for cooking. You can get these almost anywhere - department store, WalMart, Target, and so on. The measuring cup set should contain:
1 cup measure
1/2 cup measure
1/3 cup measure
1/4 cup measure
1/8 cup measure

The measuring spoon set should contain:
1 Tablespoon
1/2 Tablespoon
1 Teaspoon
1/2 Teaspoon
1/4 Teaspoon
1/8 Teaspoon

You might also want to look into a very simple cooking book. I know there's a "Cooking for Dummies" (might now be out of print), "Cooking with Kids for Dummies" (also might now be out of print), and "Cooking Basics for Dummies". I have NOT looked at any of these books, so you'll have to see if they give you the information you need. You might be able to find one or more of them at your local library. Or check www.bn.com to see what's available.

I also have a cookbook called "The I Never Cooked Before Cookbook" by Jo Coudert, which may also be out of print. If you find a copy, take a look at it, but if I were you I'd want something more step-by-step. However, the Forward is great - it details the author's complete mystification with cooking and tells a couple of funny stories about cooking confusion.

BTW, I intend no offense in recommending the "For Dummies" series. I find them to be some of the most useful books around because they usually don't assume you know the things other books assume you do. I've got quite a collection of them myself.

You can also take a look at these two posts, by someone who manages her IBS quite well without cooking:

No Cooking Part 1

No Cooking Part 2

These might help you keep body and soul together until you get the hang of the whole cooking thing.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: stupid question! new
      #169116 - 04/12/05 01:48 AM
Jellies

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Liverpool England

Thank you so much that is really helpful! I didn't take a offence over the dummie books infact I think they might have been written just for me! lol.
I used to love watching my mum cooking in the kitchen when i was little so i am looking forward to learning "how to" myself! fingers crossed for me! lol.

thanks again
steph

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 147 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45571

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review