All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Indian butter chicken
      #252099 - 03/14/06 06:40 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I became addicted to this butter chicken sauce by PC a long time ago, however it is not IBS-safe. It has cream and butter in it, and is very high in fat. I had stopped eating it for a little while, but once again started eating it and pretty soon I've been having it almost every day. So far I'm doing ok eating small amounts of sauce with lots of rice and chicken, but I want more!

My question is: does anyone know about a recipe for butter chicken sauce that is safe?

I searched this board but didn't find it. Any help would be great.
Thanks, Kat

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Indian butter chicken new
      #252126 - 03/14/06 08:18 AM
mrsbunker

Loc: Minnesota

I found this recipe online(cheapcooking.com), but it needs to be adapted for IBS, if anyone can, too much butter & too much Half & Half! totally unsafe the way it is (any ideas?):

Indian butter chicken
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbs minced fresh ginger (or that jarred stuff that I love!)
1 Tbs oil
2 Tsp garam masala (or see note below)
1 6 oz can tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4" chunks
1/2 tsp pepper
salt to taste
1/4 cup butter
steamed rice

In a large saucepan, heat the oil and cook the onion and ginger, stirring often until the onion is lightly browned. Stir in the garam masala*, then put it all in a blender, add the tomato paste and chicken broth, and whir until smooth.

Put back into the pan, add the half and half, and simmer, stirring often, about 5 minutes until reduced to about 3 cups. Pour sauce into a bowl and set aside. Rinse the pan and reuse for the chicken.

Heat 1 Tbs of the butter over medium-high heat and add the chicken, cooking a few minutes until the outside is no longer pink, 2-3 minutes. Pour the sauce back in and bring to a simmer. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink inside. (Take a piece out and cut in half to make sure.) Cut the remaining 3 Tbs of butter into chunks and stir in until melted. Serve over steamed rice. If you like, sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

* If you can't find garam masala in the grocery, you can use this as a substitute, which I did the first time. A few weeks ago during a spice sale at the grocery store, I saw a mix of garam masala and bought it. We also have a local Indian grocery store and I mean to go back there soon. Last time I bought some cardommon for pfefferneuse cookies, some bulk sesame seeds, and a few other things.

1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp crumbled bay leaves
1/8 tsp ground cloves

--------------------
Judy

Re: Indian butter chicken new
      #252160 - 03/14/06 10:55 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Actually, this one looks fairly simple to adapt!

1. Instead of oil, saute in Pam-sprayed pan. Use broth, if necessary as well.

2. Eliminate butter. Use IBS-safe margarine. I would reduce the quantity by substituting broth as well (i.e. saute chicken in broth & maybe just use 1-2 tbsp. of safe margarine for flavour. Butter flavoured "Pam" type sprays are available as well. (Actually, if I want a buttery flavour this is what I use as I'm very fat-triggered!)

3. Obviously the half & half needs elimination. SILK creamer is available. Also, using plain soy milk will do the trick as well. Truly, this is unnecessary. Soy milk, generally is thick & rich & creamy enough to do the trick. Unsweetened brands are available.

I hope this is helpful.

(This is kind of ironic, actually--my body building brother needs to lose 50lbs. He's total muscle but due to back problems & age he needs to drop weight. HE LOVES TO EAT & COOK & I'm helping him tone down his recipes--one of which is "Butter Chicken.")

Kate.

Re: Thanks! new
      #252172 - 03/14/06 11:56 AM
K2

I'm hoping to have a day for cooking soon. I'm a student so I don't find a lot of time. Hopefully I'll try this recipe with substitutes soon!
Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: Thanks! new
      #252236 - 03/14/06 06:26 PM
Wind

If the IBS-ammended batch passes your tastebud test, please share results/modifications. You could probably freeze some of this, even--homemade lean cuisine, lol. (IBS-safe fast food!)

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Maya's Indian Gourmet new
      #254325 - 03/24/06 08:51 PM
K2

With all good intentions of cooking this weekend, I went to the HFS and grocery store to get some ingredient, spices etc. At the HFS I found a butter chicken sauce which I think will be ok. Too much fat in it so I'll make sure to eat plenty of rice, but other than that no bad ingredients at all. So, once again, I'm avoiding having to cook. Ah well hehe.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#254330 - 03/24/06 09:16 PM
Wind

Perhaps you can "dilute" it a bit? Maybe add some stock? (I know, that's no fun! However...)

Kate, IBS-D.

#254332 - 03/24/06 09:27 PM
K2

I was thinking of trying that. It actually says to add yogurt to the sauce. I have a low fat soy yogurt so I'll try that and maybe it'll balance out the fat content a little. And of course tons of rice.
thanks, Kat

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4635

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review