All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
luscious strawberry oatmeal cookies
      #250826 - 03/08/06 03:59 PM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

I found this good recipe for oatmeal cookies, adjusted it with "IBS-Safe" ingredients and added some "fresh-from-the-garden" strawberries. I tasted one fresh and warm from the oven and the strawberries and oatmeal just burst with flavor in my mouth and I literally said, "Oh my God!" It was so good. They taste awesome warm and still darn good cooled off.

1 cup margarine or butter, softened (I substituted Smart Balance Light)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs (I just used egg whites)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 & 1/2 cups of all purpose flour (1 & 3/4 cups for high altitudes)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional - I just dashed a little on)
3 cups of oatmeal
1 cup chopped or sliced strawberries (I sliced and then chopped)

Heat oven to 350 F
Beat together margarine and sugars until creamy
Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
Stir in oats and strawberries; mix well.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown (I had them in for about 14 minutes, myself - but my "tablespoons might have been a bit generous)
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet, remove to wire reack.

Makes about 4 dozen (I had about 2 and 1/2 to 3 dozen)

For Bar Cookies, bake 30 to 35 minutes in an ungreased 13 x 9 metal baking pan.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

That's a lot of butter.... new
      #250848 - 03/08/06 04:35 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'd be worried about the fat content of these cookies, with the cup of butter substitute....cookies are tricky to get the texture right with subbing, but you might want to sub some unsweetened applesauce for some of the butter to make them a bit safer.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: That's a lot of butter...."perhaps"...but i worked out some of the fat content new
      #250855 - 03/08/06 05:17 PM
littlethree

thanks for that suggestion....yeah I too have read many times on this forum about the difficulty of getting the "cookie texture".

i've used the Smart Balance Light as a subsitute for margarine/butter before and didn't have any ill-effects when i made sugar cookies at Christmas. BUT of course, everyone is different....

the Smart Balance Light Nutritional facts:
Serving Size 1 Tbsp.
Total Fat 5g (8 %DV)
Sat Fat 1.5g (8 %DV)
Trans Fast 0g

And there is no hydrogenation.
Plus Smart Balance Light is Lactose Free.

8 ounces (1 cup) of Smart Balance converts to 16 Tbsps.
16 Tbsps "evenly separated" over 30-48 cookies = about 1/3 to 1/2 tbsp of Smart Balance Light in each cookie.

Thus the nurtitional information regarding the Smart Balance is only 1/2 or 1/3 of that for each cookie.

And if you count the remaining ingredients: the sugars and spices and flour and strawberries and egg whites and oats I don't think it it adds up to much more. As far as I could see on the packages of ingredients...only the Oats have fat (3 grams pers 1/2 cup)...

...so that all converts to:
18 g of fat through the whole 3 cups of Oats in the recipe 80 g of fat through the whole 16 tablespoons of Smart Balance Light in the recipe
= 98 g of fat in the entire recipe

= 2 to 3.3 grams of fat per cookie (depending on how big you make the cookie.)

And, as mentioned, the nutritional facts on the Quaker Oats box said there are 3 grams of fat per serving (1/2 cup being a serving). So each cookie has as much fat as one serving of oatmeal.

but i've also used unsweetened applesauce before too, so others may use that too.

i don't know if Heather might have anything to say on it?

It's 27% fat new
      #250920 - 03/08/06 09:45 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

It looked really high to me too but there is 4.5 cups of flour and oatmeal in there too - this is recipe makes a lot. It's 27% fat, which is not extremely safe, but not too bad.

Littlethree, what matters is not the grams of fat but the % of calories from fat, which, according to Heather, should be no more than 25% for the whole meal to be IBS safe.

I plugged the recipe into FitDay, and if you divide the recipe, as written (using Smart Balance Light), into 48 cookies, per each cookie you have:

Calories: 66
Calories from fat: 27%
Fat: 2g
Sat: 0.5g
Poly: 0.5g
Mono: 1g
Carbs: 11g
Protein: 1g

Which is a little high - higher than Heather's 25% mark - but just by a bit... I wouldn't eat these cookies alone, but rather maybe after a low fat meal just to be safe.

It would affect the texture some, but if you subbed even just 1/8 cup of the margarine with the same amount of unsweetened applesauce you'd change it to 64 calories and 1.66g fat per cookie, which is only 23%, and which would be safer.

Edited by retrograde (03/08/06 10:59 PM)

Re: It's 27% fat new
      #250959 - 03/09/06 06:30 AM
littlethree

Thanks for the input. I thought the "Oats" in it would be helpful too...being a SF input.

That sounds like a good website Fitday. I'll have to give it a look. Sounds like the applesauce is a way to go.

I guess I got a little excited by how orgasmic the burst of strawberries tasted.

applesauce in cookies new
      #251033 - 03/09/06 09:20 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've never had a cookie with applesauce/fruit purees in it that didn't get sticky and soggy when stored. (Though they usually still taste good, and can be dangerous since you think, "Well, gosh, there are 9 of them stuck together, so I may as well just eat all 9.")

I've done well by just cutting the fat down drastically and adding in corn syrup instead. It can take a couple tries to figure out the right ratio (you don't just add in 1 T syrup for every T fat), and sometimes you have to fiddle with the other ingredients, but it can be done. I refuse to believe that low-fat cookies ought to be soggy.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

I made these this weekend.... new
      #251901 - 03/13/06 09:05 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

and they were devoured within minutes. Everyone loved them, including me. They taste so fresh with the strawberries. Yum!

--------------------

Re: I made these this weekend.... new
      #258581 - 04/17/06 11:39 PM
littlethree

curious....did you make them with applesauce or the butter/margarine substitute or combination...and how did they make you feel after eating them...stomachwise?

Re: I made these this weekend.... new
      #258648 - 04/18/06 07:45 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I made them with smart balance butter sub---and I felt good stomachwise after eating them. Oatmeal cookies usually are pretty safe for me. And they were DELICIOUS! My friends and family ate them up!

--------------------

Made these yesterday new
      #260811 - 05/01/06 09:49 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

They are SO GOOD! But I ran into a couple problems.

First, the recipe says to bake them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Well, my first two batches STUCK to the cookie sheet. So those ones came out a bit sloppy! For the next two batches I used parchment paper and the problem was solved.

The second problem is that yesterday they were VERY good and soft and chewy. Today they are very sticky and gooey and are falling apart - they still taste great, but they are a mess! Any thoughts? The only thigs I varied from the recipe are I used ICBINB-Light instead of the butter, and egg sub. instead of whole eggs. Everything else I followed exactly...was it the ICBINB?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6430

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review