All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Potato Gnocchi
      #247656 - 02/21/06 02:09 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

This recipe comes, almost completely unmodified, from cooking.com. Since it's cooked in batches, they call for putting the cooked gnocchi in a bowl of melted butter while the others cook, to keep them from sticking together... obviously, this is out, but you could use a LITTLE olive oil or some light margarine instead.

1 lb potatoes

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Steam potatoes until cooked but firm; peel. Spread flour on a board and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the nutmeg. When potatoes are cool, mash without adding any butter or milk. Place potato in a mound in the center of the flour and start incorporating the flour with your hands, little by little, until all but 1/2 cup flour is incorporated. Begin to knead the flour and potato mixture, incorporating the last 1/2 cup of flour. Knead for 5 minutes. Divide the mixture into 3 pieces, roll each piece into a roll 1/2 inch in diameter. Cut each roll into 1 inch pieces, pressing each individual gnocchi with the tines of a fork.

Heat a large amount of water with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a large saucepan. When boiling, add gnocchi, one by one. Gently stir with a wooden spoon. After gnocchi come to the surface, allow them to cook for 1 minute more. Remove with a slotted spoon to a dish containing warmed, melted butter. When all are cooked, combine with tomato sauce and serve.

Serves 4.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Great minds think alike... I've been craving gnocchi -nt- new
      #247730 - 02/21/06 07:03 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Potato Gnocchi new
      #247834 - 02/22/06 10:45 AM
Johana3

Reged: 02/15/06
Loc: Puerto Rico

Great recipe, i make as it and was very good, i need to practice more the rolling and pressing LOL

but was very good
thanks alot!!

--------------------
Thanks God for the new Day .

Re: Potato Gnocchi new
      #247886 - 02/22/06 12:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Pastas can always be prevented from sticking together by putting some of the sauce on them while they wait. A tomato sauce is probably the best option. Also russet potatoes are a must for gnocchi because they have less moisture- dry and fluffy is what you want!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4624

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review