All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cockeyed Cake
      #237243 - 01/10/06 12:53 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

From The Compleat I Hate To Cook Book by Peg Bracken. Last copyright 1986.

Cockeyed Cake
(This is a famous recipe, I believe, but I haven't the faintest idea who invented it. I saw it in a newspaper years ago, meant to cut it out, didn't, and finally bumped into the cake itself in the home of a friend of mine It was dark, rich, moist, and chocolatey, and she said it took no more than 5 minutes to mix it up. So I tried it, and, oddly enough, mine, too, was dark, rich, moist, and chocolatey. My own timing was 5-1/2 minutes, but that includes hunting for the vinegar.)

1-1/2 cups sifted flour
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons cooking oil
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cold water

Put your sifted flour back in the sifter, add to it the cocoa, soda, sugar, and salt, and sift this right into a greased square cake pan, about 9 x 9 x 2 inches. Now you make 3 grooves, or holes, in this dry mixture. Into one, pour the oil; into the next, the vinegar; into the next, the vanilla. Now pour the cold water over it all. You'll feel like you're making mud pies now, but beat it with a spoon until it's nearly smooth and you can't see the flour. Bake it at 350 degrees for half an hour.

Notes:

I think pre-sifting the flour makes a big difference in this recipe. One and a half cups of sifted flour is less than one and a half cups of unsifted flour.

I used apple cider vinegar and canola oil in the recipe, and Pam to grease the pan.

The entire recipe has 2055 calories, 615 from fat; 30% CFF.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 304 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 940

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review