All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chinese Meatballs with Hoisen Sauce
      #233350 - 12/22/05 12:13 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

I haven't had these before, but they sound yummyyy! Let me know how they turn out of anyone tries them.

2 lbs. ground pork butt (sub ground turkey)
2 T. finely minced garlic
2 T. minced fresh ginger
1/3 C. hoisin sauce
1/3 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. granulated sugar
1/4 C. sweet rice wine (mirin)
1/4 C. minced water chestnuts
1/4 C. minced shrimp
1 egg white
Approximately 2 C. chicken stock or broth
Lettuce leaves, hoisin sauce, chopped green onions and chopped peanuts, for garnish

Combine pork, garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar, rice wine, water chestnuts, shrimp and egg white. Mix well, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Form pork mixture into 24 small balls. Bring chicken stock just to a simmer in a large saucepan and add pork balls. Stock should just barely cover pork balls; add more stock during cooking if necessary. Pan should not be crowded; cook pork balls in two batches if necessary. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chinese Meatballs with Hoisen Sauce new
      #244839 - 02/07/06 04:37 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'd like to know if anyone tries these also.... will make good "send to work with Shane for Potluck days" LOL

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#246873 - 02/16/06 06:40 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

YUM! They were great. I just served them with plain rice! I left out the shrimp, as I'm not a fan of the little guys.

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

#255744 - 04/01/06 04:22 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Made these today, and they are fantastic!!!

I omitted the water chestnuts and shrimp -- 1/4 C each just wasn't enough for me to bother. I subbed chopped white onion instead. I didn't have fresh ginger so I just crossed my fingers and dumped in some powdered stuff.

I didn't have sweet rice wine. I stood there wondering what to do and ended up using about 3 T white wine and 1 T rice vinegar. At least the words matched even if the taste didn't.

I put the meatballs in the crockpot, added a can of chicken broth and about 4 cups water, and cooked for about three hours on low. We ate them as-is, I didn't bother with any garnish or sauce.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#290741 - 11/20/06 04:22 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made these for dinner last night and I'm afraid I'm odd man out - I wasn't crazy about them although Joe liked them.

I made a half-recipe, substituted dry sherry for the mirin, and left out the water chestnuts but used extra shrimp to make up for it.

I served them with the green onions, peanuts, lettuce, and hoisin sauce as garnish but I wasn't exactly sure how to eat them. We ended up sort of using the hoisin sauce to glue the garnishes to the meatballs - it was kind of fun.

I had leftovers and so I saved the stock I cooked them in and the meatballs stored separately. When I reheated them for lunch today, I put the stock and meatballs in a pot and brought them slowly to a simmer. For lunch, I just ate mine with soy sauce and liked that better.

If I make them again I'm going to try Jen1013's suggestion of using a crockpot. I put 12 meatballs in stockpot large enough to hold them all without crowding and it took 3 cups of stock to get the meatballs even mostly covered.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3387

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review