All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Simple Soups for Tired Folks
      #233331 - 12/22/05 11:10 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

These are what I ate as I moved from BTC to the main EFI diet and what I eat when I'm having or after an IBS attack. I don't have much experience or technique when it comes to cooking, but I think these soups taste pretty good. Also, they don't have much seasoning because after an attack, I'm usually nauseated and not up for big flavor.

Easy Chicken Soup (about 2 servings)
2 organic chicken breasts
2 celery ribs, sliced
2 carrots, sliced, or a handful of whole baby carrots
2 white potatoes or Yukon Gold (NOT baking potatoes) - peeling is optional, the skins are thin enough that they're okay to eat
1 c LF/FF organic chicken broth or vegetable broth

1. In a stock pot, add celery, carrots, potatoes and add enough water to cover vegetables. Add salt and broth. Bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

2. In the meantime, cook the chicken breasts in a non-stick skillet in their own juices. When chicken is cooked, cube or chop into bite-sized pieces. (You could buy pre-cooked chicken, already chopped into cubes, and just toss it into the soup.)

3. Reduce heat to simmer once vegetables are tender, add chicken. Simmer an additional 15-20 minutes.

**You can eat this with crackers, but I prefer corn tortillas since they naturally contain some calcium.

Quickie Garlic Shiitake Soup (serves 1)
1 cup organic chicken or vegetable broth
1-2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2-1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced (I would cook the mushrooms in a small nonstick pan first to bring out their flavor a bit more)
1/2 cup crinkle cut carrots, frozen, (or baby carrots)
soy sauce/tamari to taste

1. To the broth add garlic.

2. Bring to a boil, add carrots, mushrooms, and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

3. Add soy sauce/tamari to taste.

**I usually eat it with a cup of sticky rice or brown rice or mashed potatoes and corn tortillas. But I'm sure you could skip the rice and add more herbs or other vegetables.

Store-Bought/Prepared Progresso Manhattan Clam Chowder
If tomatoes don't bother you and you don't have a shellfish allergy, this soup is perfect! And it doesn't contain MSG! Of course, it's not as good as homemade MCC, but it's still tasty and easy to reheat. I made some shrimp the other day and added the leftovers to this soup - excellent! Good with French bread or, um, corn tortillas.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (12/22/05 10:29 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Great! I'd just add ... new
      #233346 - 12/22/05 11:56 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Make sure that the broths you are using are low fat or FF. I think everyone familiar with the diet pretty much knows this by now, but it's good to have all the info in one place.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

thanks, Maria! new
      #233415 - 12/22/05 03:30 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I don't do mushrooms and I'm wondering if you could make Quick Garlic [Something Else] Soup. Ummm ... not sure what. Potatoes maybe?

I'll have to try making some soup this weekend. How does Super-Bland Christmas Chicken Soup sound??

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Simple Soups for Tired Folks new
      #233451 - 12/22/05 05:24 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Thanks, Maria!

Re: Shiitake Garlic Mushroom Soup

I do this alot, except with an oyster mushroom, or a combination of oyster & shiitake mushrooms. It truly is fast, simple and delicious! I omit the carrots and toss in a handful of baby spinach leaves.

If I feel like giving it a kind of "chowder" effect, I add potato slices.

I LOVE SIMPLE!

Kate.

Re: Great! I'd just add ... new
      #233487 - 12/22/05 10:46 PM
lalala

Good point! Yes, they are LF or FF broths. I edited my recipes so they include the "FF" part.

Re: thanks, Maria! new
      #233488 - 12/22/05 10:52 PM
lalala

Quote:

I don't do mushrooms and I'm wondering if you could make Quick Garlic [Something Else] Soup. Ummm ... not sure what. Potatoes maybe? I leave out the mushrooms sometimes and just have Garlic Carrot Soup. Or I'll leave out both the carrots and mushrooms and have Garlic Garlic Soup. Yay. Hope I'm not making you drool.

I'll have to try making some soup this weekend. How does Super-Bland Christmas Chicken Soup sound?? LOL. Sounds delicious. I'm afraid my bland meals will turn me into a bland person.

Re: Simple Soups for Tired Folks new
      #233489 - 12/22/05 10:53 PM
lalala

I LOVE SIMPLE TOO! I'm going to have to try the baby spinach leaves instead of carrots and a mushroom combo. If you cook it down enough, the soup makes a pretty good sauce for mashed potatoes or rice.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (12/22/05 10:53 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 286 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3671

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review