Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Creamy Orzo With Ham and Peas
      #225861 - 11/17/05 06:29 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Creamy Orzo With Ham and Peas
(Makes 6 servings)

A creamy, cheesey pasta dish you can eat with a spoon. Great comfort food. This was my first time trying turkey ham, and it tastes exactly like real ham!! How fun.

1 lb orzo pasta
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 lb turkey ham, cubed
1 1/4 cups soy milk
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3/4 cup soy parmesan cheese, grated
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Bring a heavy large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook until tender,about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic, and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
Add the ham and cook until they are heated through, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the half and half and peas. Add the orzo and toss to coat.
Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the Parmesan to the pasta mixture and toss to coat.
Stir in some reserved cooking liquid until pasta is desired consistancy.
Season the orzo with salt and pepper, and serve.

Adapted from a recipe by KelBel on Recipezaar, who adapted it from a recipe by Giada on the Food Network!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Creamy Orzo With Ham and Peas new
      #225980 - 11/18/05 09:45 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

yummy yummy yum yum yum.... and I just bought 6 boxes of Orzo on sale too!! LOL I might use green beens instead (not too big on peas)....but still YUM...

Great pic too!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#273918 - 07/13/06 04:29 PM
Shell Marr

OK.... all I need is the turkey ham... this is a easy weekday meal that is for sure......

I see the "original" recipe called for half & half.... Kree did you do fine with just the soy milk? And IF you recall...which brand of cheese did ya use?

P.S. I still have 4 boxes left that I bought when they are on sale... LOL

--------------------

#278267 - 08/14/06 11:10 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Sorry it took me so long to respond, Shell! Yes, the soy milk made it plenty thick if I remember correctly. And I used Soymage Vegan Parmesan!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#278285 - 08/14/06 12:20 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Shell I just made this a couple of months ago and it was very yummy! I followed Kree's recipe and had great results! Enjoy!!

#297012 - 01/17/07 12:18 PM
Shell Marr

STILL have those four boxes of orzo left.... and have not made this yet.... I've GOT to try it... your picture makes me drool everytime!! hehehe

--------------------

#297160 - 01/18/07 01:33 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

Oh thank you thank you thank you!!! I have ALWAYS loved this meal, but since I started the IBS diet haven't been able to find a way to eat it. I'm not that creative, so i couldn't figure out how to substitute things lol, as you'll see from some of my posts. I'm DEFINITELY adding this recipe to my homemade IBS Cookbook. Thanks again!!!!

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#297196 - 01/18/07 04:08 PM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

I am so sad. I cannot find turkey ham anywhere. I really want to try this. I loved ham and really miss it!

Stupid question new
      #297230 - 01/18/07 07:51 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

That's probably a stupid question, but... what's a shallot and where does one buy it? Does regular onion taste similar?

--J

SHALLOT new
      #297235 - 01/18/07 09:11 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

That's probably a stupid question, but... what's a shallot and where does one buy it? Does regular onion taste similar?

--J

SHALLOT

It the smallest one in this picture

The shallot is a member of the lily family and closely related to the onion. Their small bulbs usually sport a papery, reddish-brown skin and a white interior flesh that has a sweeter flavor than even mild onions.

Usually imported from France, shallots sold in the United States are often significantly more expensive than onions, adding a gourmet flare to special dishes.

A Little Bite of History
The Latin name for shallot is Allium ascalonicum, a derivative of the city name Ashkelon in ancient Canaan. It is believed that crusaders traveling to Palestine spread the shallot throughout Europe, where it eventually took on its present-day name and forms.

Varieties
Several hundred shallot varieties exist throughout the world, with color and shape differences of varying significance.

The most common shallots in the U.S. are the round, ruddy-red variety, while the lighter, more-elongated bulb is more common elsewhere.

Buying Tips
When shallot-shopping, seek out the firmest, evenly-shaped bulbs. If they are sprouting, they may be past their prime.

Storage Tips
While the shelf-life of shallots is shorter than that of most other onion varieties, they can survive in a cool, dry place for up to a month.

Usage Tips
Shallots make an excellent addition to salad dressing, sauces and pasta dishes, and require little cooking time.

Shallots make a nice onion-substitute, particularly when served raw where they can showcase their mild sweetness. Additional perks include their greater digestibility and lesser breath impact than the traditional onion.

When preparing shallots, also prepare to get a little weepy over it. As with other onions, the chemicals released by sliced raw shallots can irritate the eyes.

Tips for peeling, mincing or chopping:

• Use a paring knife to remove the skin.

• Slice off a thin disk from one of the sides, then set the shallot down on the cutting board, using the now-flat side as a base.

• Cut the shallot horizontally, leaving the root intact. Then cut the slices crosswise.

http://www.bigoven.com/whatis.aspx?id=Shallot

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9307

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review