All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
farfalle with pan-seared tuna and lemon dill sauce
      #223304 - 11/05/05 11:16 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I threw this together last night on a whim and it came out great. I never measure so just try to use good judgement!

Boil the pasta (farfalle is bowtie, I guess you can use any shape though).

The sauce:
One big bunch each of fresh dill and fresh lemon verbena, stems removed, chopped roughly.
E. V. Olive oil (I prefer Goya)
Lemon juice
one skinny jar of Goya brand capers

Put all the ingredients in the blender, and add the olive oil gradually, as you need it for everything to blend well. Don't go overboard on the Olive Oil, but there is practically no fat in the rest of the recipe so you should be okay.

Tuna:
6-8oz per person of sushi quality tuna, nice and red.

While the pasta is boiling, rub the tuna with olive oil, salt, and lots of pepper. Heat some olive oil in a heavy skillet, and place the fish on it when it's nice and hot. Depending on how well you like it, cook it for a few minutes on each side. About 4 min on each side will pan-sear it but leave the middle very rare / raw. A few more minutes will cook it through.

Chop up the tuna, and add it and the sauce to the cooked, drained pasta. Serve with french bread. Yum!

Remember, the capers are pretty salty on their own so take it easy on the added salt. Enjoy!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: farfalle with pan-seared tuna and lemon dill sauce-lemon verbena new
      #262008 - 05/06/06 01:12 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I want to make this but can't find lemon verbena at the grocery stores. I found this Website that says I can substitute lemon grass, lemon thyme or grated lemon zest.

I'm going to look for fresh lemon grass, but if I can't find it I'd like to use grated lemon zest. However, using lemon zest would mean less volume of green stuff. I thought about substituting parsely+lemon zest for the lemon verbena. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this would work?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: farfalle with pan-seared tuna and lemon dill sauce-lemon verbena new
      #262174 - 05/07/06 04:48 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

That sounds great, lemon zest and parsely will be delicious!

--------------------
Amanda

Yup. This was outrageously good. (m) new
      #262241 - 05/08/06 07:27 AM
Sand

Joe put it together last night. He used:

1 bunch of dill
1 bunch of parsley
lemon zest - zest around the equator of a good-sized lemon
juice of 1/2 that same lemon
1 3.5 ounce jar of capers, drained
Enough olive oil to make it blend - he didn't measure, so I have no idea how much he used, but I have a feeling it was a lot
He also threw in some slivered almonds, hoping to get a slightly grainy texture, but they got totally pureed

(Making the sauce was a struggle - our blender was most unco-operative. I have a feeling that with a more muscular blender or, better yet, a food processor this would go more quickly and probably require less oil.)

Joe cooked a generous 2 cups of farfalle and stirred in about half the sauce.

He rubbed the tuna with olive oil, salt, and lots of pepper, just as suggested, and grilled it over charcoal. It was fabulous. I am not a fishy person and I loved it - the pepper made all the difference.

When he had me taste the sauce, I thought it would be inedible - it was so, so lemony. Once we put it over the pasta, though, it was great. And add a bite of fish to a forkful of pasta and sauce and it was to die for.

I'm now psyched to try this with lemon verbena if I can ever find it. We really couldn't taste the dill - I think the lemoniness overwhelmed it. That was fine with me - I'm not a big dill fan - but Joe was disappointed. I suspect making it with lemon verbena would let the dill shine more.

Thanks so much, AmandaPanda. This is a great recipe. If your day job doesn't work out, open a restaurant - I call dibs on the first reservations.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

What is farfalle and where do you buy it? new
      #262244 - 05/08/06 07:32 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I wonder if it's GF. Oh, I think it's a type of pasta, is that right? I get that mixed up with the bean thing that starts with an f...

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

It's just bowtie pasta new
      #262246 - 05/08/06 07:38 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I'm not loyal to any brand, but I think the one I got was the kind in the blue box. I know nothing about eating for GF so you'll have to check the box.

--------------------
Amanda

Yay! new
      #262248 - 05/08/06 07:41 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

You're so sweet. I'm glad you and hubby liked it. The lemon verbena is good but it can be a little earthy, so you might have stumbled on an improvement, not just an adaptation. I dream night and day of opening a restaurant. I think I'll do it when I retire from the law in 40 years or so! I made this for a boy I was dating this fall. Can you believe he didn't clean his plate!? Needless to say I stopped answering his calls after that!

--------------------
Amanda

Very wise, AmandaPanda... new
      #263621 - 05/16/06 08:24 AM
Sand

Quote:

You're so sweet. I'm glad you and hubby liked it. The lemon verbena is good but it can be a little earthy, so you might have stumbled on an improvement, not just an adaptation. I dream night and day of opening a restaurant. I think I'll do it when I retire from the law in 40 years or so! I made this for a boy I was dating this fall. Can you believe he didn't clean his plate!? Needless to say I stopped answering his calls after that!

Clearly there was something wrong with this young man. And congratulations on your law school graduation! (I've tried to think of a clever law-inspired name for your restaurant, but all I've come up with is "Fruit of the Poisonous Tree" and somehow that just doesn't sound appealing.)

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4327

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review