All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
does anyone need a recipe for...
      #22 - 01/23/03 07:59 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

...a tofu-based sour cream substitute, or cream of mushroom soup that can be made with soy milk? I haven't tried either recipe, so I won't post them unless someone asks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: does anyone need a recipe for... new
      #72 - 01/28/03 09:45 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

I'd like the recipe for soy sour cream, please. Can't eat a baked potato without sour cream, right? Thx.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

sour cream substitute (was Re: does anyone need a recipe for...) new
      #74 - 01/28/03 12:24 PM
TessLouise

Here's the soy sour cream. I have NOT tried this recipe, so if it's terrible please do let us all know--and if I try it, I'll post my response here, as well.

Have you tried Tofutti Sour Supreme? It's high in fat but if you want to use just a tiny amount it's a decent sour cream substitute.

Tofu Sour Cream

1 pound soft tofu
2 tablespoons light olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon umeboshi paste
1/2 teaspoon umeboshi vinegar
Water as needed

1. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the tofu with 2 cups water or enough to come halfway up the side of the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
2. In a food processor or blender, combine the tofu, oil, lemon juice, salt, umeboshi paste, and umeboshi vinegar and blend until smooth, adding water as necessary to arrive at sour cream-like consistency. Chill. Yield: About 1 1/2 cups.
--adapted from _The Natural Gourmet_

Asking for Cream Soups made w/ Rick Milk new
      #23553 - 10/15/03 11:44 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Tess,
Sure love the sound of your recipes, tho haven't been stabilized to use that many ... yet! LOVE the SMOOTHIES!!!

Wondering if you have any cream soups made fr. rice milk. Saw Heather's chowder and figured I could also make potato soup or vissychoise . Would like to make mushroom, but think these are made w/soy milk. Have you ever substituted rice milk?

Love Rice Dream and got cr. cheese, mozzarella cheese, ice cr. Didn't see sr. cream there tho. So happy Mags 2003 put me on to these.......gonna have to start cooking again!!!
If I remember right , you said to use soft tofu in the Countess Mushrooms which I cant wait to MAKE & EAT. Have trouble with most bean products.....so figure that by thinning and adding the milk.......it should be ok!

Can't seem to make the subject BOLD for some reason.......computer novice!

In that same vein, you wouldn't happen to know how to c & paste a message fr. one place to another would you??? or anyone.....! Thanks!

Marnie

#23583 - 10/16/03 09:19 AM
ag5t

Reged: 03/11/03
Loc: Houston, Texas

Have you ever made a cream of mushroom soup that can be used in green bean casserole? - the one with green beans, cream of mushroom soup and those onion ring things on top - this is a Thanksgiving item for my family, but I'd sure like to use a cream of mushroom soup that won't hurt me. Thanks.

--------------------
Amateur radio IS a contact sport!

#23719 - 10/17/03 11:24 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I found a recipe for cream of mushroom soup not too long ago, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It looks like it would work well in a green bean casserole! Here it is if you want to take a look at it:

Dry Cream Soup Mix

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

condensed soup substitute new
      #23804 - 10/18/03 10:16 AM
TessLouise

I posted the condensed soup substitute recipe here . It should work fine in green bean casserole. Be careful of those onion rings, though--are they deep-fried?

Re: Asking for Cream Soups made w/ Rick Milk new
      #23805 - 10/18/03 10:20 AM
TessLouise

Marnie,

I haven't used rice milk to make the condensed soup substitute, but it ought to work. Try it!

The Countess's Mushrooms actually calls for Tofutti Sour Supreme, which is a sour cream substitute. Then I thin it with a lot of lemon juice to improve the texture and flavor. I haven't tried any other substitutions, sorry.

As for the bold headings on your posts, they do appear bold to the rest of us--just not to you because the computer knows you've already read them, because you posted them. Does that make sense?

TessLouise... TKs & Another ? /Re: Asking for Cream Soups made w/ Rick Milk new
      #23861 - 10/19/03 12:56 AM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Tess,

Will try it w/ Rice Milk........just LOVE it! I use Rice Dream and think I could use their sr. cream if I can find it. See they have mozz cheese & cr. cheese. Wonder if I could thin it w/wine as lemon doesn't go well w/me?

REALLY appreciate all your recipes and am anxious to try a ton of them. Have been a recipe collector for years and was going thru them tonite to find a cr. of broccoli soup that I think used non-dairy creamer. Figured that I could use Rice Milk if non-dairy is not good. That's another ? I have.

I see a lot of recipes that could easily be adapted. Hope I can get time to put some on here.

Just got a candy recipe. It's just 1 c mashed potatos, 1 stick marg., & a 2# bag of confectioners sugar. You mix and roll it out and spread w/peanut butter, jam, etc., then roll it up jellyroll style and slice. It's quite SWEET and sure takes care of that sweet tooth. Would like to post it....I see that Peaches is looking for candy. Oh you can freeze it too. I thought that you might be able to use a bit more mashed potato. Am not sure that I should post a recipe w/that much margarine tho and am wondering if you could sub some canola oil for marg.

AND.......thanks for the computer tip.....am such a novice!!! Each time I print a recipe I have to back to the recipes and go thru the whole thing to get to the next one. LOL!!!!

Thanks again,

Marnie

Re: TessLouise... TKs & Another ? /Re: Asking for Cream Soups made w/ Rick Milk new
      #23874 - 10/19/03 08:29 AM
TessLouise

You said, "I use Rice Dream and think I could use their sr. cream if I can find it....Wonder if I could thin it w/wine as lemon doesn't go well w/me?"

You may not need to thin it, if it has a texture and flavor you like "as is." As I said, the only reason I add the extra lemon juice to the Tofutti Sour Supreme is to make it look and taste more like "real" sour cream.

You said, "Figured that I could use Rice Milk if non-dairy [creamer] is not good. That's another ? I have."

That's going to depend on how sensitive you are to trace amounts of dairy. Non-dairy creamer generally contains casein, one of the proteins in milk. (So does most soy cheese.) Some people can tolerate this; some can't. It's a matter of trial and error.

You said, "Just got a candy recipe. It's just 1 c mashed potatos, 1 stick marg., & a 2# bag of confectioners sugar. You mix and roll it out and spread w/peanut butter, jam, etc., then roll it up jellyroll style and slice. It's quite SWEET and sure takes care of that sweet tooth. Would like to post it....I see that Peaches is looking for candy. Oh you can freeze it too. I thought that you might be able to use a bit more mashed potato. Am not sure that I should post a recipe w/that much margarine tho and am wondering if you could sub some canola oil for marg."

That does sound like a LOT of margarine...and substituting canola oil wouldn't do any good, it's still fat, and it might taste funny. Plus, peanut butter is high in fat, too. You might experiment with using half as much margarine, but I'm not sure that's a recipe that can be adapted--sorry.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 389 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review