All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Garlicky Goddess Green Beans
      #215483 - 09/23/05 02:39 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

GARLICKY GODDESS GREEN BEANS

This is one of my whacky food processor creations.

Ingredients:

--green beans (1.5 lbs.???) ***as much as you feel like cooking***
--a bulb of garlic
--fresh herbs (I used dill. I've done it with basil, as well and it's just as wonderful), i.e. 1 bunch fresh dill
--sea salt, to taste

Directions:

--in a minimal amount of sea salted water, i.e. 3 cm, boil green beans, herbs, i.e. dill, garlic. Just leave the garlic whole. Salt the green beans. It takes about 8-10 minutes.
--drain.
--put it the food processor and process until smooth and creamy.

Notes:
--I like to garnish with fresh parsley or tarragon. When eating it, I might add a little dijon or rice vinegar, lemon or lime just for a little acidity.
***If you hate garlic, it's really good with shallot.

Uses: great potatoe, fish, turkey accompaniement. Wonderful snack/salad topper/tuna topper/mushroom accompaniement. It really cleans you out without knocking you off your feet. I've even used it as a salad topper when I'm in that Nicoise mood. Pretty funky with beets. Perhaps pasta? Grain-wise, I think it would accompany barley best.

Kate.

Edited by Wind (09/23/05 02:41 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Garlicky Goddess Green Beans new
      #215489 - 09/23/05 02:59 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

You know, I'm really ok with eating green beans whole most of the time so I rarely puree them, but you've inspired me to do a little more experimenting with them now

This sounds really good (yum, all that garlic!). I bet it would be good on pasta or simply as a yummy topper for other cooked veggies like carrots or beets or mushrooms...or maybe even cooked green beans?

Actually, this would make a terrific soup if you thinned it out a little with some broth, or even better, soy or rice milk to make it nice and creamy, and topped it with some croutons... mmmm

Re: Garlicky Goddess Green Beans new
      #215518 - 09/23/05 07:13 PM
Wind

Awesome suggestions, Laurel. Mmmmm...herbed croutons! I'm really good with garlic as long as it is cooked/pureed. You are positively correct re: a little rice or soy milk making it richer, creamier, more velvety in texture. I'm sure that even the addition of silken fatfree tofu would add decadence! Ditto for navy beans or white kidney beans.

Don't laugh, but it would be a great sauce/dip for yellow string beans!

Another way I really like to eat green beans is topped with my spinach/herb/shallot puree as a sauce/dressing!

Any ideas on how to make a romaine burger?

Kate.

Romaine burger? new
      #216037 - 09/26/05 11:04 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hmmm a romaine burger eh?

Well I think it would have to be half cooked (i.e. wilted) romaine and half filler stuff, like oatmeal or bread crumbs and egg whites, maybe even tofu, to keep it all together. I don't think you'd want to puree the greens though - keeping them whole would probably make the whole strcuture more 'sound'.

Could be good though... I'm thinking about it with spinach now and it seems pretty appetizing, if it would hold together and actually work. Whaddyathink?

Another thought: you could also definitely mix cooked/wilted greens in with say, a tuna or salmon burger. That would probably be really yummy actually...

Edited by retrograde (09/26/05 11:07 PM)

Re: Romaine burger? new
      #216044 - 09/27/05 05:04 AM
Wind

Great thoughts, Laurel! Hmmm...maybe some roasted garlic with the shredded romaine? Mush the roasted garlic? How 'bout carrots (whipped?) or squash? You're right re: tofu being a good filler! Yes, definitely wilt the romaine first, with HERBS of choice. White beans would be a wicked adhesive. Egg whites would work. Oats would be a good glue! Definitely add the spinach dimension, or chard--red chard dimension. VEGGIE GROUND ROUND would work, easily! Don't laugh, but PEAS would taste good in them. Even pureed lentils.

Now that you mention it...pureed greens are SO SO SO good with fish. Add a huge splash of lemon (fresh) or rice vinegar or balsalmic and it's supremely yummy. I made a batch of red chard that my border from Iran (who has never experienced red chard) ate 1/2 of (I gave her a sample)! It was simply red chard, spinach, garlic, onion (I saute the onion in Pam prior to food processing, and TONS OF BASIL (fresh), sea salt, and lemon as condiment.

Actually, thanks for the suggestions, just in case I feel like a 'fancy feast!' I could take a lean kind of fish--for example sole or cod--and follow the 'pate' method, i.e. puree the fish, prior to cooking it with the burger stuff, using egg whites as adhesive/binder, and then be a weirdo and cook them in Pam sprayed muffin cups or terrines with a little water. Protein pucks. I'm finding that adding a little shallot or onion and/or garlic adds a serious upgrade in the YUM factor.

I made a divinely warped egg white omelette for a midnight snack, last night...a little carrot juice whipped with the egg whites in the handblender and cilantro and then filled with spinach/dill puree. Can I say SUPER YUM? Try the egg whites whipped with a splash of carrot juice and you'll see what I mean. LOL, green and orange eggs! Now those would be good with red chard.

Kate.

Re: Retrograde/green beans new
      #216051 - 09/27/05 05:53 AM
Wind

I note that you've been consuming a lot of green beans, lately.

One of my favourite ways to eat them is mixed with a popeye pesto as a kind of dressing. They sort of look/taste like spa-ghetti.

I know you're in transition to veganism. Hummus would also be a good sauce/dressing for them. Even a sexy tofu whipped thing. I had a bizarre inspiration with one of my egg white creations. Maybe silken lowfat tofu with carrot juice and herbs/lemon and all that pizzaz for a sauce/dressing? Even adding some of that to a POPEYE PESTO would give it a certain velvety decadence. LOL! A hunk of bagette and you'd think you're in France.

Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3637

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review