Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
plum upside-down cake
      #208585 - 08/25/05 03:26 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Plum Upside-Down Cake

This old-fashioned dessert celebrates the lush flavor and rich color of plums. Serve with a scoop of vanilla yogurt or a dollop of fat-free whipped topping.

2 teaspoons butter don't think this is needed
6 large red plums, pitted and quartered (about 1 pound)
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Dash of salt
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened use 1/2 marg and 1/2 applesauce
2 large eggs subs or egg whites
3/4 cup fat-free buttermilk soy milk with a little lemon juice
1 tablespoon amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur)

Melt 2 teaspoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add plums, and cook 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup sugar, cardamom, and dash of salt. Cook 10 minutes or until plums are tender, stirring frequently. Remove plums from pan using a slotted spoon. Bring cooking liquid to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid is very thick (consistency of jam).
While the cooking liquid reduces, arrange plums in bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Pour reduced cooking liquid over plums. Let cool.

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk. Beat 1/4 cup butter and remaining 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat in amaretto.

Pour batter over plums, spreading batter evenly. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around outside edge. Place a plate upside down on top of cake. Invert cake onto plate; cool.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

CALORIES 326(23% from fat); FAT 8.4g (sat 3.8g,mono 3.4g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 5.3g; CHOLESTEROL 71mg; CALCIUM 93mg; SODIUM 270mg; FIBER 1.4g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 58.1g
Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2005

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Have you made this? new
      #209097 - 08/27/05 11:42 AM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

How is it? Plums are in season here and selling for CHEAP!

Re: Have you made this? new
      #209153 - 08/27/05 05:19 PM
Little Minnie

Nope but I have some plums and maybe I will. I was going to make something else but looked at the recipe and it was not going to work. Unfortunately though I have no time to bake anyway.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: plum upside-down cake new
      #209988 - 08/30/05 09:26 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Hey I made this for a co-worker's birthday. Since it was for work and I was only having a small piece I used real buttermilk (low-fat) and straight margarine. I cut the plums a lot smaller than quarters. My co-workers all seemed to like it. It was pretty dense though, the applesauce and soy milk are probably a good idea.

I have a really dumb question though, regarding liquers... they are different than extracts, right? (That's what I used, couldn't taste it at all.) I've never used a liquer in anything and when I was walking through the grocery store it occurred to me I wouldn't even know where to look for one to buy one! Somebody help...

liqueurs new
      #210201 - 08/31/05 01:55 PM
Little Minnie

yes they are very different. Liqueurs are alcoholic tasty drinks with a predominate flavor, such as Grand Marnier or framboise. They are not at the grocery store but the liquor store. Amaretto is a wonderfully yummy liqueur. I used some on Monday in my nectarine and chocolate phyllo dessert. I think it has a slight cherry taste.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4368

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review