All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Two Couscous Salads!
      #204400 - 08/10/05 07:54 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I created both of these salads for a recipe contest on Recipezaar. They gave a list of ingredients and you had to figure out what you could make with it. Even though these are so similar they have very different tastes, so I thought I'd share them both.

Creamy Couscous Salad
(Makes 6-8 servings)

(Photo thanks to Rita L)

This is a summer salad with a Mediterranean flare! You can add a chopped bell pepper and increase the amount of mint if you desire, or throw in some other fresh herbs of your choice. One person who made this even recommended trying it with lemon yogurt!

1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup feta soy cheese (Galaxy Foods makes a feta Veggie Crumbles--otherwise I'm sure you could sub some soy parmesan)
1 (8 ounce) container plain soy yogurt (I use Whole Soy, which comes in 6 oz contains, so unfortunately I needed to open more than one to get enough moisture)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
salt and pepper

1. Place couscous in a large bowl and pour boiling water over the top. Let it soak for 10 minutes for the grains to swell, then fluff it with a fork.
2. Add the tomato, chickpeas, and feta to the couscous.
3. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, mint, and salt and pepper.
4. Pour the yogurt mixture over the couscous and mix well to combine.
5. Eat it as is or chill it in the refrigerator for a real Summer treat. It's even better when the flavors combine for at least an hour.

Curried Couscous Salad
(Makes 6-8 servings)

(Photo thanks to love4culinary)

This is a unique side dish that's perfect for a warm summer evening. Add as much or as little curry as you please. You can also use a red bell pepper instead of green, but the green makes for a more colorful salad. One member also said she enjoyed it after adding a can of tuna.

1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
1-1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
salt and pepper

1. Place couscous in a large bowl and pour boiling water over the top. Let it soak for 10 minutes to swell the grains, then fluff it with a fork.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the couscous and stir well to combine.
3. Chill in the refrigerator, if desired, and enjoy!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

did you win?!?! -nt- new
      #204404 - 08/10/05 08:29 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

You're a mindreader! new
      #204406 - 08/10/05 08:33 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was JUST thinking, a little earlier today, that I could really use some recipes using couscous... I'm on a couscous kick right now. I'm leaving for a road trip tomorrow - I might make the curry one to take with me.

Re: did you win?!?! new
      #204462 - 08/11/05 06:24 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Lol, no, I didn't win. There were some absolutely amazing recipes there, much more involved than mine. Plus I have to admit mine taste like they're lacking something, but I can't put my finger on what. Maybe you can all help me figure out how to jazz them up a little.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3347

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review