All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Snacks and Cereals
      #20134 - 09/09/03 08:35 PM
kiks

Reged: 08/19/03

Does anyone have any suggestions for safe cereals and snacks? I'm big on having cereal every morning, but I'm getting tired of Chex, and I don't know what else to try! I really like Special K, but it has milk in it

Also, as a college student, I need quick, pre-made safe snacks. I've been sticking to pretzels and graham crackers, but I'm looking for suggestions.

One more question-- maybe Heather can answer it-- Is dried fruit safe? Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it doesn't. I really like papaya, apricot, mango, and pineapple.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Snacks and Cereals new
      #20154 - 09/10/03 06:54 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

My faves are: (dont' forget to also do a search on this site!!)

GeniSoy Soy Crisps
Kix (now made w/o high fructose corn syrup)
Cheerios
Baked Lays reg potato chips
Veggie Booty (I think this is safe?!?)

This is from fatfree.com
Chickpea Crunchies

2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained well and blotted dry
1/2 teaspoon each of the following seasonings:
salt (if you used canned beans reduce or eliminate the salt)
freshly ground black pepper
ground cumin
ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Toss the chickpeas with seasonings and spread on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

Instant Fat Free Potato Chips:

1 potato, thinly sliced (peel or don't peel)

Spray a dinner plate with Pam. Place potato slices on plate
in a single row. Microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Turn slices over and continue to microwave on high another 3 to 5 minutes. Potatoes are done when they are lightly browned -if they aren't browned, they won't get crisp. This may take longer depending on your microwave's wattage but you will be safe with the initial 4 minutes of cooking. You need to watch them carefully after that. Now comes the hard part . Remove from plate and toss in a bowl with salt or seasoning of your choice and let cool! It is important to let them
cool so they can crisp up.

--------------------
~jules

#20159 - 09/10/03 09:15 AM
schwab

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Dayton, OH

I want to make sure I understand why high fructose corn syrup is a possible trigger. Is it b/c fructose, even naturally in fruits, when concentrated can be a trigger? So I guess that is why we stick to honey, sugar, etc? Can someone expand on this for me?

I have come to like plain sheerios with sliced bananas, oat cereals at the health food store, and peanut butter Bumpers! The name is wierd- they are avail, at health food stores. They have corn and oat flour and are great for a snack. Also have choc flavor.

#20162 - 09/10/03 09:25 AM
jules

Schwab...I've seen the bumpers and they looked yummy. I avoided them because of the p-nut butter...and I didn't look at the ingredients closely. You're ok with them?

--------------------
~jules

Schwab, check this out new
      #20163 - 09/10/03 09:28 AM
jules

From one of Heather's earlier posts re: HFCS

"In small quantities (and especially with the soluble fiber basis you'd get from the cereals or grahams) it should be just fine. Some people actually have a fructose intolerance, which is something different than IBS but folks can also have both.

Corn syrup has a much lower fructose content than high fructose corn syrup. The high fructose version is basically a very cheap sweetener (cheaper than sucrose, which is plain table sugar, white or brown). That's why it's so common in commercial foods like soft drinks, cookies, crackers, etc."

I try and avoid the stuff because of an article I read in my bf's Men's Health mag. Check out this link if you're interested in more:

http://www.skagitpublishing.com/publications/meddir/news.php?article=md09

--------------------
~jules

#20166 - 09/10/03 09:40 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I love the peanut butter bumpers. They are so good and I think there is only 2.5 g of fat per serving. peanut butter bumpers I haven't had them in a while but they were good. There also some brand by envirokids. They have a peanut butter cereal and a koala crisp cereal that is good. enviro kids Look under Enviro kidz.

#20182 - 09/10/03 10:54 AM
schwab

Thank you for the information about the high fructose corn syrup! I know I keep saying it, but you guys are awesome. You all come up with a replacement recipe or suggestion that is great.

Yes, I do fine with the Bumpers. Theya re really good as a snack. Like I said, they have corn flour and oat flour, so we are ok. Plus, even though it has peanut butter, the fat is low. I love peanut butter, so I usually have a 1/2 to 1 T on a piece of toast. Or, I put it in a choc smoothie! Also, that website I posted a while ago- suttonsbaytrading.com, has all kinds of flavorings. I bought peanut butter and creme de menthe for the peppermint cake. It is 3X more concentrated than extract and they have all kinds of flavors. I plan on using the PB in brownie mix, Heather's choc ice cream recipe, in my vanilla flavored teas I drink when craving dessert, in the honey oatmeal muffins, etc. I will let you know how it turns out.

Question:
The peppermint fudge cake calls for creme de menthe- the alcohol kind? Does anyone have any idea how I would substitute the flavoring instead?

Peppermint fudge cake.. new
      #20259 - 09/10/03 08:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The recipes needs peppermint extract, which is different than creme de menthe. You'll find peppermint extract next to vanilla extract at grocery or health food stores. It's much more concentrated than creme de menthe. You'd never, ever drink it straight, any more than you'd drink vanilla extract.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather-Creme de Menthe flavoring in Mint ice cream new
      #20296 - 09/11/03 09:42 AM
schwab

Heather,
I am sorry, I mentioned the wrong recipe. I just remembered it is the mint ice cream recipe that calls for creme de menthe. Now does my question make sense? I think you call for the liquor and I want to substitute the flavoring.

Re: Heather-Creme de Menthe flavoring in Mint ice cream new
      #20303 - 09/11/03 11:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Whoops! Sorry about that. Subbing in the ice cream would be no problem. You won't get the pretty light green color the creme de menth lends, but that's okay. You can definitely use peppermint extract for the flavor. I'd start with 1/2 teaspoon of the extract blended in, and then taste it. Add another 1/2 t to make it mintier. And remember that when things are frozen, they taste less intense and less sweet, so when you're tasting the unfrozen liquid it should be a bit too strong.

Also, I think there's an omission in that recipe about when to add the mint and the chocolate chips. Just blend them in to the custard mix right before you transfer it to the ice cream maker.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 241 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7546

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review