All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
tofu manicotti
      #20 - 01/23/03 07:48 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Yet another treasure: pretty darn convincing manicotti (hey, I got my teenage brother to eat it!).

Tofu Manicotti

8 ounces manicotti
10 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed and stemmed
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 cakes firm tofu (16 ounces each), pressed and crumbled (Sandwich the tofu between two plates and rest a heavy weight [can or book] on the top plate. Press for about 15 minutes; then drain the expressed liquid from the bottom plate. Crumble the tofu by hand.)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups store-bought tomato sauce

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a nonreactive 9-by-12-inch baking dish.

Bring a large covered pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain carefully, rinse with cold water, and set aside.

Meanwhile, place the still-wet spinach in a large pot, cover, and cook with only the water that clings to the leaves until just wilted, 2 or 3 minutes. Drain well. In a food processor, combine the cooked spinach, parsley, basil, tofu, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Process until the mixture is creamy and resembles the texture of ricotta cheese.

Pour 1 cup of the tomato sauce into the prepared baking dish. Fill each manicotti shell with the tofu mixture and arrange the shells in the pan in a single layer. Pour the remaining 2 cups of tomato sauce over the filled manicotti, cover with foil, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.
--_Moosewood Restaurant New Classics_

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: tofu manicotti new
      #8494 - 05/07/03 02:55 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Ok Tess, I tried this tonight. It is in the oven and the filling tasted good. However, I don't think I will ever attemp manicotti again. How the heck do you fill them? I made such a mess . Any suggestions?

By the way how is your last days of school or are you done with classes already? I just took my last exam ever last night . It was pretty easy. Hope you enjoy being done with school. Are you going on for your masters? I will not be doing that any time soon.

ranting and raving :p (was Re: tofu manicotti) new
      #8532 - 05/07/03 08:26 PM
TessLouise

Oh boy did you ask a loaded question . Last night I went with my boyfriend to his friend's apartment to do laundry. It took forever so I wound up sleeping on the couch. Didn't get much sleep etc. Didn't get approval from the apartment complex I applied at till this afternoon--thank God they did approve me--we (boyfriend and I) can move in tomorrow after three. Then my parents come in around four, my sister at 7:15, we're going to go eat dinner around 8:30, but I haven't made reservations yet, though that's been on my to-do list for weeks. Friday morning, bright and early (spectators start choosing seats at 6:30 a.m.), is graduation, then more moving. Saturday I've got to be out of the dorm by 9 a.m. But my sister's plane doesn't leave till 3:30 p.m.--dunno how we're going to work that. Then home for two months to learn to drive and buy a car, then back to Nashville to start a full-time job and learn to live with my boyfriend. I'm completely overwhelmed. How do you budget your money when you don't have any? <sigh> Anyway, sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest--my stress level is prolly as high as it's ever been. So nope, no graduate school in the near future, I'm just happy to make it out of here with a 3.2 and only one failed class.

Re: ranting and raving :p (was Re: tofu manicotti) new
      #8534 - 05/07/03 08:33 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

What was your major in? (if you don't mind my asking... you can tell me to stop being nosy if you want!)

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#8549 - 05/07/03 11:36 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Oh BOY do I hear you! Stress stress everywhere! I hope you're not too frazzled, and that your IBS isn't acting up. Congrats on the graduation, and on starting the new life! Moving in with your bf will be fun! I moved in with my bf for the first time last year, and it was great...sure beat the dorm life. And will you really be that broke? With a full time job, as compared to being in college? I was reading this email today, with the top 50 things you learn in college, and among many other true things, the first one on the list was "Quarters are gold " ....and ATM stands for "another twenty missing".... Lol, so true. I'm looking so forward to actually being completely self-sufficient one day....though it will be scary and overwhelming at the same time, I'm sure. Take it all in stride, and don't forget to breathe

Unfortunately I don't graduate until next semester, so I won't know freedom until then...though I did complete my undergraduate honors thesis defense today! Now that had me stressed more than ever. Now its on to study for more finals.

Again, congrats to everyone graduating....(Torbetta you too!) I envy you.

-cheme

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#8555 - 05/08/03 01:15 AM
TessLouise

I did have a double major in special education with an early childhood specialization and in early childhood education, but I chose not to student teach so I'm graduating with a degree in "educational studies" instead. It basically means I took all the right classes but don't have my teaching certificate. But I'll be teaching for a private early intervention program (Easter Seals) where I don't need to be certified. Yay for that! I think if I had to go to school any more I'd pull all my hair out .

#8609 - 05/08/03 10:16 AM
torbetta

Thank you. It took me nine years (three years off to have babies). I am just so glad to be home with my kids I don't care about much. I just not looking forward to paying the loans back, which is higher than I would have liked. I had to use alot for child care. I guess some day I will get paid for working, but for now I am happy to be home with my kids. Now if only I could do a better job keeping this house clean we will be all set.

#8610 - 05/08/03 10:20 AM
torbetta

Hey, that is kind of what I did except I atempted student teaching only I didn't teach the way my exeptional education subervisor and cooperating teacher thought I should. So I did one student teaching placement successfully. Mine is a B.S. in individual studies becuase the college I went to requires teaching certification. Good move not student teaching. I still don't know how I did it.

Re: tofu manicotti - So, what is the verdict? Has anyone tried it? -nt- new
      #45429 - 02/17/04 04:43 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

We liked it -nt new
      #45431 - 02/17/04 05:01 PM
torbetta

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10424

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review