All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Tomato-free Lasagna?
      #196628 - 07/17/05 07:16 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

How do you make lasagna? I did a quick spree thru the recipe index but didn't see it.

I'm looking for w/ little to no tomatos, INCLUDING the sauce (I'm a acid refluxer) and especially vegetarian ones. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tomato-free Lasagna? new
      #196637 - 07/17/05 07:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

There's probably not much in the way of lasagna in the archive because I'd imagine - from the way that soy cheese tastes, and the fact that I *think* soy ricotta doesn't exist - that it would be really difficult to duplicate it in an IBS-safe way. But I'm not sure.

Back in my pre-IBS-diet days, I used to make spinach lasagna roll-ups... the only sauce was what you put on top, which would make it perfect for someone trying to avoid the sauce. Unfortunately, I haven't yet figured out how to make it without ricotta cheese, but if you're up to some experimenting, I can post the unsafe recipe and you can play with it.

Have you looked on VegWeb for ideas? They're all vegan recipes, so you might find some inspiration there.

#196645 - 07/17/05 08:21 PM
uwponine

Sure, post it. I do love tinkering w/ stuff.

VegWeb! Good idea!

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#196669 - 07/18/05 06:47 AM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

I don't have a recipe word for word per se, but I know for a fact that using lite tofu mixed with a bit of soy paremesean, salt, and basil makes a GREAT ricotta sub in Lasanga!!!

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

#196702 - 07/18/05 08:19 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I bet that mixture would really do well as ricotta. And there's no rule that says that lasagna has to be made with tomato sauce. I bet there are all kinds of interesting substitutes we could think of, like layering on roasted red peppers and drizzling olive oil .... mmmm....

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

White lasagna? new
      #196721 - 07/18/05 08:44 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

How about making a white lasagne with Non-Dairy Alfredo Sauce?? I used to love white lasagna back in my pre-IBS days, and I've been meaning to try it using this sauce. What about making SharonMello's Easy Cheese Lasagna and using the tofu alfredo in place of the tomato sauce? You could probably even leave out the rest of the cheeses in that recipe because of the large amount of soy parm in the alfredo. Just a thought. I'll probably try it even if you don't!

Oh, and just a note, I've made that alfredo sauce before and it's great! I use about half the soy parm because of all the fat.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

I'd love to try that new
      #196728 - 07/18/05 09:04 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Let me know how it turns out, if you make it!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#196848 - 07/18/05 01:14 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I use a carrot/beet puree combo. Other wicked options: squashes! A green sauce is wonderful too. I'll see if I can hunt down an official MOCK TOMATO sauce recipe.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: MOCK TOMATO SAUCE recipe new
      #196856 - 07/18/05 01:26 PM
Wind

I found an "official MOCK TOMATO SAUCE" recipe. (I've been doing this forever, though usually with fresh ingredients.)

It has a lot of room for flexiblitity.

MOCK TOMATO SAUCE (www.miss roben.com)

2 cans carrots
1 can beets
spices to taste
(oregano, basil, salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice, etc.)

BLEND UNTIL "SAUCE-LIKE."

***I usually go for the basil, skip the pepper. If GERDs is the problem, be careful with adding acidity, i.e. lemon, vinegar. In my recipe, I add acidity, i.e. balsalmic vinegar and lemon. Fresh basil does wonders.***

Kate, IBS-D.

#197046 - 07/18/05 10:17 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

My mom always made lasagna with tofu instead of the meat and ricotta cheese... but then she also used cheddar, and I'm not sure if soy-cheddar would really make the cut there. Might be worth a try though!

As for the tomato sauce - I either make it spinach lasagna and make a spinach puree or I fool myself and make a very-tomato-like sauce out of beets (cooked and pureed), with garlic and basil and everything, in place of the tomatoes/tomato paste. Will admit though, I've only ever tried that with spaghetti, not lasagna. But I don't see why it wouldn't work!

oh man, I really should read the thread all the way down before I post! lol -nt- new
      #197047 - 07/18/05 10:18 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

#197076 - 07/19/05 02:59 AM
uwponine

What would you use for the cheese? Do you have an entire recipe?

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#197078 - 07/19/05 03:52 AM
uwponine

Can you post your spinach lasagna recipe?

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#197107 - 07/19/05 06:31 AM
Wind

Hmmm...that's a tough one as I am allergic! I suppose you could use a faux cheese without casein. There's tons of soy, rice, and almond ones available. I've lived without even the thought of cheese for so long and honestly would just totally skip that ingredient. All faux cheeses, offend me personally and well, I think the whole idea of cheese is absurd. I've had cheese-less lasagna. Usually there's just more vegetable involved to get the thickness or viscosity.
I'm stumped as I don't even think about cheese or faux cheese. Sorry. But, it's easy enough to improvise.

Kate, IBS-D.

#197111 - 07/19/05 06:39 AM
Wind

That's true re: making tofu taste cheese-like. Just add a little lemon or vinegar, sea salt and herbs spices. For ricotta like texture, use silken. For a more dense cheesiness, use firm or extra firm tofu. Puree it in the blender with the herbs/spices, lemon and or vinegar--the acidity gives it that fermented taste associated with cheese. Generally the flavourful sauce and the tofu flavours blend/emusify or marinate.

If you really wanted to get that "I can't believe its not cheese" effect, shred/grate some soy or rice or almond or hemp cheese on top of/or mixed into the tofu.

I think if you check out the MORI-NU tofu site, you'll find an easier than pie recipe. You don't have to use their product.

Squash is another good tomatoe free sauce and there are so many varieties.

#197251 - 07/19/05 10:31 AM
uwponine

I strive to keep my soy consumption very low (no more thyroid) so as to minimize that possible interaction.
So but good ideas. Hmmm...so when you make this, you just go for the throw it all together approach and see what happens?

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#259786 - 04/23/06 06:49 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Has anyone tried to freeze this? How many servings does it make, basically? How long would it keep in the fridge?

And do you drain the juice from the can?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#259883 - 04/24/06 12:58 PM
Wind

Well, logically, it should freeze just fine. I wouldn't keep it in the fridge for more than four days, like most prepared foods.

Kate.

Kate... new
      #261085 - 05/02/06 11:39 AM
Augie

When do you add the basil? (and lemon juice/vinegar).After it's cooked? And about how much? I'm cooking challenged. Do much better with measurments...or approximations.

I recently just bit into a sushi roll smeared with Wasabi. I had no idea how strong it was going to be!

--------------------
~ Beth

I have everything bought to make this... new
      #263463 - 05/15/06 10:19 AM
Augie

..just not sure when to add in the fresh basil. Maybe to the stir fried mushrooms or zucchini I'm going to add? Or do you think those would be okay to roast as well?

I'm really excited about trying this!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Kate... new
      #263472 - 05/15/06 10:56 AM
Wind

Beth, I like things really tart/sour and extreme. I would do a tablespoon and then taste to suit your taste buds.

Re: basil
I chop and let it cook with everything, so that the flavours mingle.

Kate.

#320294 - 12/09/07 06:29 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

This recipe totally made my night last night! I was over a friend's house earlier on in the afternoon and he was making traditional spaghetti and meatballs. Just watching him cook it made me want it so bad. I'm Italian, so that food reminds me of my dad's cooking. However, ever since being diagnosed with GERD 5 years ago, and then IBS, I can definitely not do tomato sauce. I remembered seeing this sauce on the recipe boards, and since I actually had the ingredients, decided to give it a whirl. It was great! Granted, not quite like the real tomato sauce, but the best substitution that I found so far. I added basil, oregano, and parsley to it, plus mushrooms and turkey bacon, and it was super yummy. Best thing of all, my reflux did not act up! And neither did my IBS!!! Thank you so much for this recipe

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

question new
      #341911 - 02/10/09 01:03 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

do you drain the juice?

How many servings does this make?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: question new
      #341954 - 02/11/09 08:17 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I drain the beets but leave some of the carrot juice in to give the blender something to move with. I don't know the servings sorry. It makes a good sauce pan full! hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#341968 - 02/11/09 02:28 PM
butterbean

Reged: 01/25/09
Loc: California

I made this but to me it taste like carrots *lol* Is there anyway to make it taste different. I added 1/4 tsp of oregano and basil and 1 small can of mushrooms to it.

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD (general anxiety disorder), Major Recurrent Depression, GERD (gastric reflux disease), Hiatal Hernia, PTSD

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25828

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review