All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Instant pudding mixes usually don't contain milk new
      #243681 - 02/02/06 02:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

But do check the ingredients... some flavors might sneak it in. I know the chocolate fudge one is safe.

As for the cake mixes, I heard rumors that DH cake mixes now have dairy in them, but I'm not sure. To be totally honest, it's always a dairy derivative - not straight-up milk - and in with all the soluble fiber from the flour, it never bothers me, and I'm SUPER-sensitive to dairy. So I'd say give it a try anyway, but I'm daring like that. If you'd rather not risk it, read the ingredients on other cake mix brands and see if you can find others that are dairy-free.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Instant pudding mixes usually don't contain milk new
      #243695 - 02/02/06 04:32 PM
deejay

Reged: 01/30/06

I make brownies using applesauce as a substitute for the oil. they are great!! I would suggest using a extra fudgey one.

Chocolate Cake for One - veggie pudding? new
      #243725 - 02/02/06 07:20 PM
StymiedChef

Reged: 03/01/05
Loc: Washington State, USA

Are there any vegetarian pudding mixes that would work? I don't eat gelatin, which i believe is in most instant pudding.

Actually, it should be fine new
      #243742 - 02/03/06 03:08 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Puddings are usually thickened with cornstarch, I believe. At any rate, some flavors of Jello brand instant pudding are listed on PETA's "accidentally vegan" page:

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/VeganShoppingQS-Baking.asp?Category=Baking

You'll be safe with those. But if you want to find alternatives, I'd suggest the health food store.

Re: Instant pudding mixes usually don't contain milk new
      #243743 - 02/03/06 04:04 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I've been using the store-brand organic cake. It does taste a little different (it doesn't have as much sugar, and there's actually less than the DH box), but I love it just the same.

Go for it!

Organic cake mixes new
      #243952 - 02/03/06 01:37 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

My very thoughtful friend Jen made me a cake using organic cake mix not too long ago, and I agree, it was quite good. It's certainly a nice alternative when you want less sugar and preservatives!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: tried this, didn't work new
      #244862 - 02/07/06 05:50 PM
tayjay

Reged: 11/28/05
Loc: Auburn University, Alabama

I'm sad that it didn't work out for you. When I tried it, it was amazing!!! I use 1 1/2 TBSP of applesauce and 2 1/2 of water, DON'T spray the cup or bowl with oil either! And also only microwave for about a minute...maybe a minute 15. Let me know if this works for you

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Casey new
      #244894 - 02/07/06 09:59 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I'm dying to try this with a GF cake mix to see if it will work for we gluten free folks.
I understand the GF mixes make very small cakes so I have a feeling I'll have to buy a few of them and make adjustments along the way.

I bounced this off a couple really good Celiac cooks and no one had a clue about this using a GF mix or had ever tried such a thing.

I'll let you know the results as soon as I can. Unfortunately I don't have a dog to give the goofs too, but hey, a little Rice Dream ice cream thrown on top of a goof ought to make it edible, don't you think?

--------------------

Re: Question about cake mixes new
      #244907 - 02/08/06 06:25 AM
busymomtn

Reged: 01/09/06
Loc: Chattanooga, TN

I was going to make this last weekend, and checked the DH box and it said "contains milk ingredients" so I didn't get it. Then I went to Wal-Mart and bought their brand which didn't say it had milk in it. But after I got it home, I noticed that under the "shortening" part - it said it could contain beef fat, or lard - which I'm thinking could be worse than the "dairy derivative" - what do you think??

Edited by busymomtn (02/08/06 06:46 AM)

Beef fat! new
      #245134 - 02/08/06 06:19 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I just came across a cake mix with beef fat this past weekend and was totally grossed out! That just seems so unnecessary. As for how bad it is for us, it's such a tiny amount it would probably be okay... but I just couldn't get myself to buy the stuff. Honestly, most of us here seem to be okay with the cake mixes that contain 2% or less of milk products, although please try it only if you're stable. Oteherwise they do sell organic cake mixes that are totally dairy-free, as I remember someone mentioned farther up on this thread.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 297815

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review