All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
corn on the cob
      #191929 - 07/05/05 02:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Although corn is one of my trigger foods I can eat an ear or two after dinner. I wanted to post the best way to cook it. I grew up on a sweetcorn farm and badly done sweetcorn is one of my biggest irks! We used to eat huge amounts of corn after selling it all day and we had corn eating contests. That would make me sick now.
Perfectly cooked corn.
Husk corn. put in a stock pot (regular size) and cover with water (yes it floats but you get the idea). Cover the pot, bring to a boil, make sure to rotate the top ears so they cook on both sides. You can boil about a minute but no more. When you see the pot is boiling shut off the heat and let it sit for 10 min or so. You might still have to run each ear under cold water or fill the pot with cold water. Do not allow it to sit for very long without being in water.

Other tips. yes it is best very fresh, but can still be good otherwise. Keep in a cool place for a day or two but no more than that out of the fridge. You can tell old corn by the stalk showing at the bottom, it gets dry and brown. After that the husks get dry- do not buy when it is that old! Keep corn after the first day (if not eating that day) in the vegetable drawer in the bag is fine. I don't like reheating corn so only cook what you will eat.
Yes grilling is good too but I prefer it boiled (not boiled -just left in the boiled water). I have been known to put sugar in the pot but I am not sure if this does anything.
Eating corn: go down the ear like a typewriter, stop and chew and swallow when your mouth is full. Don't go around the ear! (I am very regimented about eating corn too. I hold it pointy end left and eat from pointy end to round end and then back up to the beginning again.)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Haha... new
      #191971 - 07/05/05 04:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm laughing that you described how to eat an ear of corn. I never even thought about it, but that's exactly how I eat it - left to right, pointy end to round end - and I never, ever eat it any other way.

Otherwise, we differ. My favorite corn of all is to brush it lightly with a good homemade vinaigrette, and then grill it - husked - till it's just starting to brown up in spots. And I love, love, love leftover corn the next day, cold and salted. Yum.

Can you tell I'm happy that I can eat corn on the cob again? Heh.

Re: Haha... new
      #191984 - 07/05/05 04:51 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04

Hmm... brushed with vinaigrette and grilled. I'm gonna have to try that one!! Sounds very delightful!!!

Other than that... I just boil mine for about 20 minutes... never have had a problem with them being undercooked!

PS - I find it very humerous how different people eat corn on the cob differently! I've never paid attention to which end I start on, but I've always eaten it "typerwriter" style. My grandmother on the other hand, eats it around and around... she swears by it! Her claim is that she has less mess on her chin afterward!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by RachelT (07/05/05 05:03 PM)

Re: corn on the cob new
      #192008 - 07/05/05 06:26 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Wow, you can all eat corn on the cob? I admit it, I'm very envious. It's always been one of my summer favorites and I ended up having to give it up completely. And creamed corn just isn't the same!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: corn on the cob new
      #192045 - 07/05/05 08:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

I do like creamed corn. But I am able to handle only an ear or two of corn on the cob. And it is a pretty hard food to digest.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Haha... new
      #192119 - 07/06/05 06:38 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've been reading about Little Minnie's posts re: sweet corn.
It is really hard to digest. I've been indulging in this treat, lately too. I tend to eat it for "dessert" as well. I like to boil it before grilling. This is disgusting, but I love raw sweetcorn, too. I love those raw fresh peas in the summer, too but have yet to venture that far.

Oh, it is, no doubt about it! new
      #192218 - 07/06/05 10:02 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hard to digest, I mean... like my boyfriend adds, "It's even hard for me, and I don't have IBS!" But I find that as long as I eat it slowly, chew it well, and don't eat it more than once a week, I can handle it - even with the meal, not after it. Considering all the other veggies I used to love that I don't dare eat anymore (raw broccoli, raw cauliflower, etc), I consider myself really lucky that I do ok with corn!

I've never tried raw corn, but I don't think it's disgusting. I used to eat raw potato, cut up thinly and salted. Now that's a little weird.

Raw potato new
      #192388 - 07/06/05 03:04 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I used to eat raw potato, cut up thinly and salted. Now that's a little weird.

Raw potato with salt is one of my favorite things. The only thing weird is cutting it up thinly. Everyone knows it's much better in chunks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Oh, it is, no doubt about it! new
      #193056 - 07/07/05 06:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I used to like raw sweet potatoe. I used to love raw beets and raw brussels sprouts and raw green beans, too.

Re: Raw potato new
      #193181 - 07/08/05 07:50 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

My grandfather used to love eating raw potato sandwich where, if I remember correctly, he would sprinkle line slices of potato with pepper and sugar. Now you know where I get my sugar cravings from. He put sugar on everything. I'm not that bad .

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 423 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4413

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review