#191129 - 07/02/05 07:16 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Don't ask.

1 package (12-ish oz) Mori-Nu extra-firm lite tofu - drained
3/4 C sugar
1 scant cup vanilla soy milk
3.4 oz package instant vanilla pudding (read the package carefully -- Jell-O brand doesn't have dairy but most generics do)
1 T vanilla
1/2 C cocoa powder (adjust to your personal preference -- you may want to start out with 1/4 C and work your way up if it's not chocolate-y enough)
Dash salt

In bowl, mix pudding mix and soy milk with a whisk. Toss everything into a blender and puree until smooth (tiny tofu chunkies are the worst). Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. You can chill the mixture in the fridge for a couple hours first to make the ice cream firmer. The texture of this should be more soft serve-ish.

P.S. If you don't have an ice cream maker but are desperate for any kind of ice cream facsimile, you can dump the mixture into an airtight container and put in the freezer.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Accidental chocolate ice cream new
      #191265 - 07/03/05 03:00 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Oh, this sounds cool, literally! And I'm so glad you added the part about not having an ice cream maker, becuase I don't and I keep eyeing Heather's ice cream recipes in envy!! I'll try this one.

Ice cream maker new
      #191355 - 07/03/05 08:51 PM
jen1013

If I am feeling lazy or the ice cream maker isn't ready, I'll just stick the ice cream straight in the freezer instead of churning it through the ice cream maker. It does end up pretty rock hard this way ... if you run it through the ice cream maker, straight out of the maker it is a lovely nice "real ice cream" texture ... but once you freeze the leftovers they become rock hard anyway.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

so true... new
      #191395 - 07/04/05 05:23 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

one added note: ice cream makers are only about 20$ and if you hit it right you can get them on sale.. at least the rival ones that run on rock saltt and ice with an electric crank.. and work better and last longer then the expensicve freeze the cylinder types I had before..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

don't buy one with a gel disc new
      #191445 - 07/04/05 09:35 AM
jen1013

I have an expensive freeze-the-cylinder ice-cream maker! It is a Cuisinart and I love it. I used to have a cheap freeze-the-gel-disc ice-cream maker. The gel disc ended up "popping" and oozing in a very disgusting manner. The Cuisinart is MUCH nicer quality so I'm hoping it won't go the same way.

By the way, Amie, I remember hearing a long time ago that you make ice milks a lot, but I've never seen you post any recipes. Do you have any good ones?

--------------------
jen

Re: don't buy one with a gel disc new
      #191484 - 07/04/05 12:26 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I mostly use heathers recipes.. I posted a few others awhile ago.. a simple one is just to use vanilla rice/soy milk, add sugar and some starch (thickener), cocoa powder if you want or other flavoring, simmer in a double boiler until hot and thickened slightly, and then coola dn freeze- yummy.. I'll post proportions when I'm home and have something in front of me or after I make it again and can remember the proportions better...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Accidental chocolate ice cream new
      #191494 - 07/04/05 12:48 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

The first time I made Heather's Chocolate Silk Pudding (with rice milk), it ended up being really runny after a day in the fridge, so I put it in the freezer, and ended up with tasty chocolate ice cream!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 244 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9285

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review