All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
fresh bread no yeast
      #189578 - 06/27/05 01:29 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

I would really like to make my own bread, but without using yeast (maybe baking powder or something?) does anyone have a recipe for such a thing (non-sweet bread, i mean like sandwich bread) I also don't have a bread maker. I really miss fresh baked bread, but the yeast bloats me up!!! Thanks!

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Irish soda bread new
      #189645 - 06/27/05 05:16 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I haven't tried this yet, so have no idea how good it is. I got this recipe from a friend and I'm not sure where he got it from. You can also do a Google search for "irish soda bread" and find lots of similar recipes.

Irish Bread

3 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 cups soy or rice milk (approx)
1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 325. Spray 9x5 pan with nonstick spray.

Measure vinegar into 2-cup (or larger) glass measuring cup. Add soy/rice milk until liquid equals 1 1/2 cups. Stir briskly and set aside.

Mix baking soda and cream of tartar. Add a little bit of milk/vinegar mixture until a smooth paste forms. Mix all of the ingredients together until a moist dough forms.

Bake for one hour.

(note -- bake time seems pretty long to me -- I would start checking it after 30 minutes or so)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Irish soda bread new
      #235688 - 01/04/06 02:31 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Okay, I made this and I don't know what to make of it. It doesn't taste the Irish Soda Bread I used to get from the store, but then the store-bought stuff has eggs, butter, raisins, sugar in it. I don't really like this bread, but I'm not sure if I made it right. I mixed everything together with a wooden spoon, then kneaded it 10 times (something I read on the Internet, I think) because it didn't look like the ingredients were all going together very well. The bread is heavy and doesn't taste like much. Looking at the ingredients, that may be how it's supposed to feel and taste.

I guess I don't know if I made it wrong and I should try again or if I made it right and I just don't care for it. Has anybody else tried this?

Oh, and I cooked it for an hour and it could probably have gone longer.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

traditional sourdough breads.. new
      #235834 - 01/05/06 06:07 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

starters DO NOT USE YEAST and many don't have dairy either- basically flour and water.. let me check and I'll try to find the traditional recipe I have.. I haven't made it in ages because Bill doesn't like the smell of the starter, but with my new bread machine I'm going ot make the starter in the machine and then turn it on whne its time to add everything else.. so I need to find it soon anyway

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

duh... sourdough is a natural yeast.. but.. new
      #236077 - 01/05/06 05:18 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I asked on my bread makers list for a suggestion for a non yeast bread that isn't sweet for you.. hopefully someone will answer with some good options!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Spelt Bread new
      #236208 - 01/06/06 08:29 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I used to make my own spelt bread. I enjoyed it...do a search and you will find the recipe. It is too time consuming for me right now to keep up with it but I did enjoy it when I made it on a regular basis.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I think it's supposed to taste like cardboard new
      #236474 - 01/07/06 11:24 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I'm Irish and eating this bread has been a family tradition for a long time. I've never made it though, my grandmother always does. She would never buy the store-brand stuff...always said it wasn't authentic. However, I can tell you that the bread she made was always very heavy, somewhat flat and tasted like cardboard. But I love it anyway I'll email her and get it for you Sand.

Thanks, AmandaM (m) new
      #236506 - 01/07/06 01:04 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'd love to see your grandmother's recipe when you get it, but if it's supposed to taste like cardboard, then Jen1013's recipe is a roaring success.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

oh, thanks! new
      #236557 - 01/07/06 05:29 PM
jen1013

Glad to know my recipes taste like cardboard. Ha ha.

Hey, I forgot I posted this one. Yes, I've made it lots. The crust is hard, but the bread itself is not hard, it should be chewy in a soft way, not tough at all. It is sort of yellow and the taste is kinda hard to describe. Sort of like mild buttermilk biscuits? It's best when it is warm fresh from the oven. I like it plain, but it's also good with a butter substitute. I think it would be good with strawberry jam but I've never tested that theory.

For this recipe, you shouldn't have had to knead the dough -- you should have stirred for less than a minute and ended up with a soft slightly sticky dough. If it seems too dry, splash in more milk. Don't know if it makes any difference, but I use rice milk because I've found soy milk in plain bread/biscuits is gross.

I'm not Irish and I've never made soda bread before this recipe, but I do know that the commercial stuff isn't authentic at all. I mean, come on, a couple centuries back, what self-respecting impoverished housewife would dream of putting sugar and eggs in bread??? The cream of tartar in this recipe is not authentic and I am actually puzzled as to why it is there since I don't believe I've used it for anything else other than stabilizing egg whites. Maybe it helps the bread rise. I'll have to omit it next time and see what happens.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

bake @ 350, not 325 -nt- new
      #236558 - 01/07/06 05:30 PM
jen1013

--------------------
jen

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review