All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Belgian Waffles
      #1801 - 03/02/03 07:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I received a Belgian waffle maker as a gift, and I'd really like to try using it, but I'm not sure of the recipe. The recipe that came with it had the following ingredients:

2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
2 T. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. butter
3 eggs

To make this recipe IBS friendly, I would change the milk to soy milk and the eggs to egg whites, but what should be done about the butter? Just eliminate? Use canola oil? Or, just use a totally different recipe?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Belgian Waffles new
      #1812 - 03/02/03 09:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You should easily be able to just use 4 T canola oil for the butter. And if the waffle maker isn't nonstick, use cooking oil spray on it.

For the three whole eggs, substitute 6 egg whites. If you whip the egg whites till they hold soft peaks, then fold them into the rest of the batter, your waffles will be extra light and yummy.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1822 - 03/03/03 10:03 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Thanks Heather! I can't wait to try these next weekend.

I just have one other question: The instructions are "In a large bowl combine flour, yeast, sugar, and salt; mix well. Heat milk, water & butter until very warm (120-130 degrees F). Add flour to mixture. Add eggs. Using an electric mixer, blend at low speed until moistened; beat 1 min at med speed. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and foil; refrigerate several hours or overnight."

Do you think it will work okay if I whip the egg whites, then fold them in and I could skip the electric mixer? Or, will adding the eggs and following the original recipe of electric mixer beating create the same "light & yummy" effect? I definitely want the light & yummy kind!

Sorry for so many questions, but I've never made waffles of any kind before, unless you count Eggos!

Thanks!

#1824 - 03/03/03 12:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Since this is a yeast dough recipe, and the dough is resting overnight, I'd follow the original directions. I think you will get light and yummy results - the yeast will rise and the waffles should be very light and delicate.

The recipes I've used where I whipped the egg whites separately weren't yeast doughs, and they didn't rest at all. If you let the dough sit after whipping egg whites till they're light, they'll deflate and you'll lose the lightness.

Let us know how these come out!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371900 - 02/15/15 09:22 PM
Gayna

Reged: 02/09/15
Loc: New York, USA

I found a vegan butter called Earth Balance.

Re: Belgian Waffles/Earth Balance spread-Heather's quote with my url reference new
      #371902 - 02/16/15 06:28 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Per Heather:

Re: IBS diet questions
#366319 - 10/27/11 12:12 PM

......"I use Earth Balance soy butter - it's still high fat, so use sparingly. I use peanut butter the same way. For fat free options try seedless jams and jellies, or marmalades. Or honey."

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She's the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Here's the soy one's ingredients, but check out the other varieties ingredients they have if needed everyone: http://earthbalancenatural.com/product/soy-garden-buttery-spread/ signed, sgcray P.S. Yes the palm oil portion is more saturated for it to be more of a solid spread, but the saturated portion of the total fats is 3.5 of 11, so in that respect too, don't use alot;Still look at the other varieties' saturated fat portion of fat that EB carries;Please remember product ingredients can change sometimes after referred.

Edited by sgcray (02/16/15 06:49 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17232

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review