2T. butter margarine

Topping:
1/4c. melted butter just under 1/4 margarine will work
1/3c. brown sugar
2/3c. flour
2/3c. oatmeal
1/8t. salt
1/4t. baking soda

Bake at 350º for about 45 minutes. I like it served cold with whipped cream. This one wasn't nearly as fatty as I thought and I think I can make it. The pie crust is the hard part.

Carrot Cake or Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

4 eggs, beaten thick 1c egg beaters
2c. sugar
1 1/2c. oil sub at least 1c of it to applesauce
2c. flour
2t. baking soda
1t. salt
1t. cinnamon
1 can carrots, drained and mashed

Mix well, add carrots last. Bake in a 9x13 pan for cake or 2 pans for bars at 350º for 30-35 minutes for bars or longer for cake (when a pick comes out clean it is done). Cool completely and frost.

Frosting:
4T. butter marg
1 package cream cheese soy cream cheese
1 lb. powdered sugar
1T. lemon juice
1t. vanilla

Cream butter and cheese, carefully and slowly add sugar. Beat in flavorings. Use this recipe for frosting any cake.
I made this one once a little while ago and it did not turn out so good. I didn't mash the carrots enough and I don't know what else I did wrong. The frosting was good but runnier than normal. I hope someone makes this and gives an opinion.

*Tiramisu*

1 Angel food cake, cut or torn into pieces
2 (0.78 ounce) packages instant vanilla-flavored cappuccino mix you can find almost non dairy mixes but they still have some caffeine
1c. hot water
1 8oz. block Neufchâtel cheese soy cream cheese. Maybe needs a little flour or cornstarch for thickening.
1/2c. brown sugar
1t. vanilla
1/2t. cinnamon
1 tub cool whip lite this has some HFCS in it if you can't get one without.
1T. cocoa
Raspberry purée (optional)

Place cake pieces in a 9x13 inch-baking dish. Combine cappuccino mix and water, pour over cake. Combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in large bowl. Beat at high speed until fluffy, fold in whipped topping. Spread mixture on top of cake cubes. Sift cocoa over top. Cover and chill 1 hour. Serve with raspberry purée if desired.

Raspberry Purée:
1 10oz. frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed
2T. lemon juice

Place raspberries in syrup and juice in a food processor and process until smooth. I forego the sauce as it doesn't make it better. I am trying this on Saturday and hope it is good. It will NOT be completely safe as there will be a little dairy, coffee and HFCS in it. But I am at least trying.

Junior Mint Brownies

1/4c. butter or margarine I made this with applesauce on Friday and it was good but fluffier and a little bit tough. DH said he liked them better that way. But I like mine fudgy. Add the applesauce after microwaving the mints.
3oz. Junior Mints or 2 large Peppermint Patties this adds a bit of chocolate but it has never bothered me at all.
1c. flour
1/4t. baking soda
1/8t. salt
2/3c. sugar
1/3c. cocoa
1 large egg I used 1/4 plus 1/8c egg beaters for the 1 1/2 eggs.
1 large egg white

Preheat oven to 350º. Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray. Combine butter and mints, microwave 30 seconds, stir until smooth. Combine flour, soda, and salt in a bowl. Combine sugar, cocoa, and eggs in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until blended. Add mint mixture, beat well. Add flour mixture, beat until just mixed. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cut into 16 bars.

Peach-Blueberry Betty

1 16oz. can peaches, in syrup
3T. sugar
2t. cornstarch
1 20oz. package frozen blueberries
1/4t. grated lemon zest
2t. lemon juice
3 slices white bread, cut into small cubes
3/4c. quick oats
3T. brown sugar
1/2t. cinnamon
3T. melted butter margarine

Preheat oven to 375º. Drain peaches, reserve syrup. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan, add syrup and blueberries. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in zest, juice and peaches. Combine bread, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in melted butter. Spoon half of fruit mixture into a 1 ½ quart baking dish. Top with half of topping and repeat layers. Bake covered, 20 minutes, uncovered 10 minutes. I double the topping recipe because I like lots of topping. Serve warm with ice cream. This adapted well to the diet. I made it this winter.

Pie crust I haven't made thsi before but I think it seems low in fat.
1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
3 tablespoons ice water
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening

Preheat oven to 400°.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1/4 cup flour, ice water, and vinegar, stirring with a whisk until well-blended.
Combine 3/4 cup flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add slurry; toss with a fork until flour mixture is moist. Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle; freeze 10 minutes. Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap; let stand 1 minute or until pliable. Fit dough, plastic-wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate or a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan. Remove plastic wrap. Press the dough against bottom and sides of pan. Fold edges under or flute decoratively. Line bottom of dough with a piece of foil; arrange pie weights on foil. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until edge is lightly browned. Remove pie weights and foil; cool on a wire rack.
Food Processor variation: Preheat oven to 400º. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add shortening; pulse 10 times or until mixture is combined. Add ice water and vinegar through food chute, pulsing just until combined (mixture won't form a ball). Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle; freeze 10 minutes. Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap; let stand 1 minute or until pliable. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate or 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Press the dough against bottom and sides of pan. Fold edges under or flute decoratively. Arrange pie weights on a piece of foil in bottom of dough; bake at 400º for 20 minutes or until edge is lightly browned. Remove pie weights and foil; cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 1 (9-inch) crust

Well these are my new challenges/experiments. Let me know what you think and if anything doesn't sound right or safe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yum... new
      #179978 - 05/18/05 09:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Unfortunately, just about all of them would still be too high in fat for me, except the betty. I may have to try that one of these days. I'd be careful with the rhubarb pie - I think the combined fat in the filling, topping, and crust might be a bit much.

Maybe try decreasing the margarine in the cream cheese frosting? Especially if you're using a soft margarine, that could contribute to the runniness.

Just a note on the Junior Mints - they're safe! Believe it or not, they contain no dairy and no HFCS, and of course they're pretty low in fat too. I eat them all the time.

Junior mints are SAFE?!?!? new
      #180073 - 05/19/05 10:10 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

That's the best news I've heard in a while!!

LOL!!! new
      #180090 - 05/19/05 11:26 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

What I can't figure out is why Junior Mints have no dairy but peppermint patties DO. Especially since JM's are smoothier and creamier. Hey, not that I'm complaining!

I probably still wouldn't indulge in a *lot* of them, but I can chow down a small box with no problems. The only warning they really have on them is that if you're allergic to dairy, they are made on equipment with milk-containing products and may have traces of incidental dairy in them... that's it!

Re: Yum... new
      #180140 - 05/19/05 02:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Unfortunately, just about all of them would still be too high in fat for me, except the betty. the brownies with applesauce are almost FF. Yet there are so many other brownie and choc mint cakes recipes about. I may have to try that one of these days. I'd be careful with the rhubarb pie - I think the combined fat in the filling, topping, and crust might be a bit much. Yep that is a fingers crossed experiment.

Maybe try decreasing the margarine in the cream cheese frosting? Especially if you're using a soft margarine, that could contribute to the runniness. Great idea!!

Just a note on the Junior Mints - they're safe! Believe it or not, they contain no dairy and no HFCS, and of course they're pretty low in fat too. I eat them all the time. I eat junior mints and peppermint patties too, but they do have real chocolate in them and it might bother someone. I do well with them because of the peppermint; sometimes they actually make me feel better!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

oh Junior mints have different ingr. than patties- nt new
      #180141 - 05/19/05 02:17 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Re: Junior mints are SAFE?!?!? new
      #180145 - 05/19/05 02:25 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

That's the best news I've heard in a while!!

I 2nd that!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Junior mints are SAFE?!?!? new
      #180158 - 05/19/05 03:18 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Wow, I didn't realize that either. Those were always my movie theatre favorites as a kid. I'll have to grab a box ASAP!!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

what do you think about new
      #180247 - 05/20/05 05:32 AM
Little Minnie

making the rhubarb pie into a topped custard? I am thinking of just omitting the crust altogether and cooking it in a casserole or something. It is a delicious recipe. I was surprised it didn't call for milk or cream. Anyway I hope the egg beaters do as good with it as real eggs.

--------------------

additional comments and man the tiramisu was good new
      #180515 - 05/21/05 04:50 PM
Little Minnie

I made the tiramisu. It comes out to 5 1/2 grams of fat for 1/12 of it- which is a large piece. (if you use FF cool whip). It was very yummy. Look for cappucino mix that is almost dairy free. No it is not completely safe because there is coffee in there. Also I put 1T cornstarch in with the cream cheese. I don't know if this was necessary or not. It is easy to make and delicious. Plan on eating within 2 days for sure. After one day it is gummy.
As I made the tiramisu (with lite and not FF cool whip).
cals for whole thing: 3260
fat for whole thing: 92 grams
divided by 12: 271 cals and 7.6grams of fat = 25% fat (if my calculations are correct.)
FF cool whip: cals probably the same
fat 5.6 grams so 18% fat. Is that right?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12684

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review