All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
homemade ketchup
      #175443 - 05/01/05 07:19 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Has anyone made homemade ketchup? I tried last night. I just grabbed some tomato paste and added water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and some spices. It was a bit tomatoey. Does anyone have a recipe that is just basic ketchup like?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: homemade ketchup new
      #175588 - 05/01/05 08:11 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

From my favourite vegan cookbook, How It All Vegan by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard. Seems pretty close to what you said you did... if you're looking for more 'basic' you could maybe leave out the basil (?)

1 6-oz can of tomato paste
1.5 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sweetener
1 tsp Braggs or soy sauce
1/8 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp salt
2.5 tbsp water

In a med. saucepan, simmer all the ingredients on med-low heat for about 10-15 mins, stirring often. Set aside to cool and store in the fridge in a clean, dry container with a tight fitting lid. Keeps about 2 weeks but make sure the lid is kept on tightly. Makes about 3/4 cup.

yum- thanks! nt new
      #175779 - 05/02/05 11:57 AM
Little Minnie

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

how come? new
      #175804 - 05/02/05 12:40 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Just wondering why you'd make your own ... is there something wrong with the bottled kind? I don't eat a ton of ketchup, mostly because I don't eat many of the things you put ketchup on (fries, etc) but I've never considered it a bad food. Can you explain? Thanks.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: how come? new
      #175829 - 05/02/05 01:24 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I THINK it has hfcs in it...I'm sure someone else will know for sure!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

yes HFCS- (maybe some brands don't have it?)- nt new
      #175858 - 05/02/05 02:33 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Re: homemade ketchup new
      #175864 - 05/02/05 02:46 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

If you are looking for a commercial one that doesn't have HFCS Trader Joes and Muir Glen are, and Heinz is coming out with one.

Kandee

--------------------

that's cool- nt new
      #175870 - 05/02/05 02:49 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Re: how come? new
      #175897 - 05/02/05 03:34 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Thanks, good to know. I don't seem to be sensitive to hfcs, but I guess the less artificial crap we put in our bodies, the better.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 538 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4080

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review