All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chicken Broth
      #173379 - 04/25/05 08:22 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

In recipes using chicken broth I usually use organic chicken broth as it does not contain MSG. Unfortunately, I am finding that the flavor is bland. Has anyone else found this? Thinking of adding chicken boullion cube to add flavor. Anne

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chicken Broth new
      #173401 - 04/25/05 09:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think you get used to it to some extent. I find I really miss the extra flavor only in something like risotto where the chicken broth pretty much IS the flavor. You can also look into making your own - I think there's at least one recipe for chicken broth on the Board.

My problem with bouillion cubes is that most of the ones I found contained something I shouldn't have - either MSG or some dairy product. You can try a Search on this; I'd look both on the Recipe Board and on the Diet Board - I'm not sure where I read this - for some suggestions for boullion cubes - somebody posted about ones that didn't contain anything unsafe.

I did find one name brand boullion cube that didn't contain MSG or dairy derivatives; unfortunately, it contained chicken fat. I bought it anyhow, figuring the small amount of fat wouldn't hurt. The flavor it adds is delicious, but my tummy felt a little unstable the day after I used it for dinner, so I haven't bought anymore and therefore can't tell you the name of it. Sorry.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#173628 - 04/25/05 07:11 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I like the Imagine "NO CHICKEN" broth, personally. Most "Imagine" broths are great. You can "kick it up a notch" based on your taste preferences/safe foods, herbs, spices, aromatics. Organic Bouillion is pretty good; I use "Harvest Sun Vegetable Broth." It's free of active yeast. Ingredients: Yeast extract, sea salt, potato starch, non hydrogenated sunflower oil, vegetables (leek, carrots), Natural calcium carbonate, spices (tumeric, nutmeg) herbs (parsley, celery leaves). 4 calories/tbsp., 0.07 g fat/ That company makes a variety of bouillion mixes. "Pacific Foods" makes a great tetra broth base, too. Other broth/liquid bases I use include miso. Sometimes adding ginger and/or extra herbs, sea salt really makes a difference.

Another suggestion and a sort-of recipe new
      #173988 - 04/26/05 02:55 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

One of my cookbooks, "Eating Well Is The Best Revenge" by Marian Burros, recommends using frozen stock/broth rather than canned or packaged ones. She claims the frozen ones taste better. I don't know if you can find fat-free frozen broths, but it might be worth a look.

One of my other cookbooks, "Shape Up America" by Ceil Dyer, gives a recipe for punching up store-bought chicken broth:

Quick Chicken Stock

2 eight ounce cans condensed chicken broth
2 cups water
1 cup dry white wine
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
Several springs parsley
A few mushroom stems, trimmed and chopped
1 small bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon thyme

Combine ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer gently for about 30 minutes. Strain before using.
Makes about 3 cups of stock (about 40 calories per cup).

If you use uncondensed broth for this recipe, I imagine you would just leave out the water.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (04/26/05 02:56 PM)

#174589 - 04/27/05 08:16 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

I just throw 2 chicken quarters in a pot w/ a carrot, a rib of celery and 1/2 an onion. I just cut them in half because I'm just using them for flavor and they are easier to remove. Salt and pepper as desired and put in frig over night so the fat hardens and can be skimmed off easily. I freeze it in ice cube trays. I like it.
Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review