Squid risotto with chilli and coriander

about 450g/1lb squid
2 tbs olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 fresh chilli, seeded and finley sliced
275g/10oz/1.5 cups risotto rice
175ml/6 oz white wine
1L/1.75pints/4cups simmering fish stock (I reackon a vege stock can be used here too)
2 tbs chopped fresh coriander
salt and fresh black pepper

For the marinade
2 ripe kiwi fruit
1 fresh chilli, seeded and finely sliced
2 tbs fresh lime juice
(this is apparently a popular method to marindae in New Zealand, would explain the kiwi fruit I reackon)

If not already, clean and prepare the squid

Mash the kiwi fruit in a bowl then stir in chilli and lime juice, add squid and stir to coat evenly season with fresh pepper and salt, cover with cling film and set in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight
(apparently this is a great way to tenderize the squid....I know I don't like it too chewy!!)

Drain the squid, heat 1 tbs oil in a frying pan and cook for about 30-60 second over high heat (in batches if necessary). If too much liquid accumulates in pan set aside), the squid should be fried not simmered. It is important the squid cooks very quickly. Transfer squid to a plate and set aside.

Heat remaining oil in a pan, add onion and garlic and cook gently for 5-6 mins till soft, add sliced chilli and cook for another minute.

Add the rice and cook for a few minutes till rice is translucent, then stir in the wine till it is all absorbed.
Gradually add hot stock and reserved squid juice, ladel at a time till three quaters has been used. Stir in the squid and continue cooking till all the stock is used and rice it tender but has a bit of bite.

Stir in chopped coriander, cover with a lid and rest for a few minutes till serving.

Salmon risotto with cucumber and tarragon

this one adds all the liquid in one go so its a bit simpler than a traditional risotto....

2 tbs olive oil
small bunch or spring onions, white parts only, chopped
half a cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
350g/12oz/1.75 cups risotto rice
1.2L/2 pints/5 cups hot chicken or fish stock
150ml/0.25 pint dry white wine
450g/1lb salmon fillet skinned and diced
3 tbs chopped fresh tarragon
salt and pepper

Heat oil in pan and add sping onion and cucumber, cook for 2-3 minutes without letting the onions colour.

Sitr in rice, then pour in all the stock and wine. Bring to the boil then lower heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.

Stir in diced salmon and season to taste with salt/pepper. Cook for another 5 mins, stirring occasionally, then switch off heat, cover and let stand for 5 mins.

Remove lid, add the chopped tarragon and mix lightly...serve...

this recipe look fabulous, I can't wait till I can get to the fish markets to cook it...soon.

From The Cooks Encyclopedia of Rice by Christine Ingram.
Lots of good stuff, some recipes are a bit heavy on the fat but are really easy to modify.

Emma

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: your recipes - thanks -nt- new
      #1707 - 03/01/03 02:32 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Chilli squid and salmon risottos new
      #68832 - 05/09/04 08:42 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

This is a very late reply. I found the salmon risotto recipe doing a search the other day. It is AMAZING. I can't say enough about it. It tasted just as creamy and delish as any risotto I've ever had, and there's no cream or butter! Thanks so much for posting it. It was also one of the easiest risottos I've ever made. Mmmmm yummy. I live alone so I've gotten about 4 meals out of the one recipe. Yippee!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 204 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6482

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review