All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
candied nuts! safe, easy, GF and pesadich!
      #168222 - 04/08/05 04:30 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm going to post 2 recipes- sesame almonds and the other is my pecan/walnut recipe.... I've done the almonds in the cinnamon too- its all yummy!

required items:
CAST IRON SKILLET!
metal spatula!
foil spread on counter for cooling

Nothing else I have ever used carried the heat properly.. and a plastic spatula will melt!

(if your pan is smaller then you think you can comfortably stir this in when it becomes sticky without losing nuts- reduce proportionately.. I normally do 3/4 pound of almonds at once..)

sesame almonds:

1 pound plain almonds- unsalted!!!
1 cup sugar (can be adjusted to taste..less or more..)
1/4 cup sesame seeds, again- to taste

mix together in cast iron skillet over high heat until the sugar has completely melted... once it gets close it goes fast.. as soon as it has started melting you need to be constantly stirring to keep it from burning. Once you can no longer see sugar crystals immediately pour it onto foil and use spatula to spread nuts out.

cinnamon nuts:
1 pound either almonds or pecans
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cinnamon (again can be adjusted to taste)

cook the same way as above.

One extra note to make cleanup easier... if you dunk the still hot pan in warm tap water immediately most of the sugar will wind up in the water... then you can boil off the water just like any other time you clean cast iron!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Cinnamon almonds *rule*! new
      #168379 - 04/08/05 03:57 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

They're the first thing I go for at renaissance fairs. I've never made them myself, but now I guess I have no excuse!

Re: Cinnamon almonds *rule*! new
      #168451 - 04/09/05 03:32 AM
khyricat

these aren't the same- taste the same but they are crunchier then the ones I get at fairs, etc- those are more spun on stuff whereas these are coated with a candy coat.. but YUMMY! I've actually done cinnamon almonds, but I love the sesame ones!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#168458 - 04/09/05 04:20 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

As long as they taste the same, they're good by me. I'm definitely going to try the sesame ones, too. I have a feeling they'll be just as addictive. I'll let you know when I try them!

#168462 - 04/09/05 04:46 AM
khyricat

have fun- the important part to making them is it all has to be in the pan the entire time... if you add the nuts to melted sugar it cools the sugar and won't coat evenly... if the nuts are hot too, you can stir thins around and coat them well...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#168479 - 04/09/05 08:40 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Thanks for the recipe Amie, and all the tips. I love cinnamon almonds but always bought them at Trader Joes. Ingredients say almonds, sugar and cinnamon, so essentially the same as yours but am wondering how they taste different. Now the big decision is whether or not to buy a large cast iron skillet to make them. The existing cast iron pieces I have, I'm afraid have been contaminated with gluten so I don't use them for cooking anything for me. Kandee

--------------------

#168482 - 04/09/05 08:53 AM
khyricat

a cheap skillet works as well as a good one.. thats one trick mom and I have learned over the years.. so it won't cost much... good luck! I love these things.. and you can modify proportions of sugar and cinnamon and nuts to get the taste you want! I use more cinnamon and less sugar for myself normally.. but most people like the proportion i posted best...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Thanks Amie.. new
      #168513 - 04/09/05 11:27 AM
Kandee

Quote:

a cheap skillet works as well as a good one.. thats one trick mom and I have learned over the years.. so it won't cost much... good luck! I love these things.. and you can modify proportions of sugar and cinnamon and nuts to get the taste you want! I use more cinnamon and less sugar for myself normally.. but most people like the proportion i posted best...

Good idea, thanks. I've gone to buying cheap skillets anyway (since I'm so hard on them) then pitching out when they die....I LOVE cinnamon, the more the better, so would like your proportions I'm sure! Kandee

--------------------

the only issue.. new
      #168527 - 04/09/05 11:48 AM
khyricat

is the extreme heat but they make and sell cheap cast iron... and I figure if a bit of the iron winds up int he food who cares.. I think the set I have I bought 3/12$ big one is pesadich and I use for the nuts and 2 smaller ones I use for other things- the little one is great for cornbread....

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

LMBO...Better iron then Teflon or aluminum!!! -nt- new
      #168601 - 04/09/05 07:57 PM
Kandee

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 304 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11541

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review