Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cambodian Chicken Curry
      #167137 - 04/05/05 05:33 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Chicken Samlá (Cambodian Chicken Curry)
Warning: this has thighs and coconut milk and might be a trigger for some. I was fine with it but dark meat is never as easy to digest as white meat.

This is one of the most popular dishes in Cambodia. It's a soupy curry that's more aromatic and less spicy than curries found in other parts of Southeast Asia. It uses a substantial amount of fresh ginger and lemongrass for flavor and fragrance. Serve over rice to soak up the sauce.

1/2 cup thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
1/4 cup chopped peeled fresh lemongrass
1 1/2 tablespoons shrimp sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee) or shrimp paste couldn't find -used fish sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
5 garlic cloves, halved
2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
Cooking spray
6 (4-ounce) chicken drumsticks, skinned
6 (4-ounce) chicken thighs, skinned used a total of 6 thighs which worked great
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup light coconut milk used a T or 2 more broth and less coc milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Lime wedges (optional)

Place first 10 ingredients in a food processor; process until minced, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ginger mixture; sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side. Add broth, coconut milk, and sugar, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is done.

Remove pan from heat. Remove chicken from pan, reserving liquid in pan I let it boil on high to reduce a little bit ; cool chicken slightly. Remove the meat from bones, and discard bones. Place pan over medium heat. Stir in chicken and lime juice; cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

CALORIES 299 (29% from fat); FAT 9.6g (satfat 4g, monofat 2.2g, polyfat 1.8g); PROTEIN 41.2g; CARBOHYDRATE 11g; FIBER 1g; CHOLESTEROL 159mg; IRON 3.3mg; SODIUM 871mg; CALCIUM 65mg;
Cooking Light, APRIL 2005
serve with rice and vegetable and the fat percentage will be lower. Also I probably ate 1 thigh at the most to reduce fat. However it is so yummy and is replacing a beef curry I used to make like this that DH misses a lot.:p

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cambodian Chicken Curry new
      #167468 - 04/06/05 04:55 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

YUMMY! Can't wait to try this Tamara- I will probably be next week before I get to though.

S

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1831

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review