All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help - can I mix these for Kabobs?
      #166124 - 04/01/05 10:34 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have a BBQ tonight and want to take something fun that I can eat...I was thinking kabobs with chicken, peppers, and mushroom and onions marinaded. Can I put shrimp on here too or will those spread ecoli. Sorry dumb question, but I don't want to make anyone sick.

Also - does anyone have a great marinade recipe they want to share.

Thanks a bunch.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help - can I mix these for Kabobs? new
      #166155 - 04/01/05 11:46 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Sorry, I don't know about putting shrimp on the same skewers as the chicken, etc. If you're worried, you can always put the shrimp on their own skewers, then do other skewers with chicken and the vegetables.

I have a great recipe if you want to do the mushrooms separately. It's called Deb's Spicy Summer Evening Mushrooms and it's incredible. I put the mushrooms in a ziploc bag and turn it from time to time while they're marinating. (The little suckers float.)

When I marinate chicken or shrimp, I usually just use a store-bought marinade. I like Annie's Natural Paradise on shrimp. On chicken, I like Soy Vay Chinese, Lawry's Lemon Pepper, and Lawry's Havana Lime and Garlic. I suspect the Havana Lime and Garlic would be good on shrimp, too, but I've never tried it.

I hope this helps a little. Enjoy your BBQ.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I am probably too late new
      #166271 - 04/01/05 04:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The problem would be that chicken takes longer to cook than shrimp. If it was jumbo shrimp and small pieces of chicken I don't see anything wrong with it. Sometimes kebabs are hard to cook thoroughly where they are too crammed together and some bits are not done. Generally shrimp can be grilled with veggies or fruit that cooks quickly. I have a good recipe for shrimp and plum skewers. Also cherry tomatoes are good with shrimp and that kind of thing.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

shrimp and plum skewers new
      #166273 - 04/01/05 04:25 PM
Little Minnie

with picture
Grilled Shrimp-and-Plum Skewers with Sweet Hoisin Sauce

The ginger gives these kebabs a spicy, peppery bite that's mellowed by the sweet sauce.

12 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1 pound)
3 plums, quartered
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
Sweet Hoisin Sauce
Cooking spray
1/4 cup (1 1/2-inch) julienne-cut green onions (optional)
1 lime, quartered (optional)

Prepare grill.
Toss shrimp, plums, ginger, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Thread 3 shrimp and 3 plum sections alternately onto each of 4 (10-inch) skewers.

Spoon 1/2 cup Sweet Hoisin Sauce into a cup; place remaining sauce in a serving bowl. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; cook for 4 minutes. Turn kebabs, and brush with about 1/4 cup sauce. Cook 4 minutes. Turn the kebabs; brush with about 1/4 cup sauce. Cook 2 minutes, turning once. Serve remaining 1/2 cup sauce as a dipping sauce. Garnish with onions and lime wedges, if desired.

Totals include Sweet Hoisin Sauce.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 kebab and about 2 tablespoons sauce)

CALORIES 220 (26% from fat); FAT 6.4g (satfat 0.9g, monofat 3.2g, polyfat 1.6g); PROTEIN 18.6g; CARBOHYDRATE 21.5g; FIBER 1.5g; CHOLESTEROL 130mg; IRON 2.6mg; SODIUM 800mg; CALCIUM 60mg;

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

hoisin sauce for above recipe! new
      #201253 - 07/31/05 07:18 PM
Little Minnie

Sweet Hoisin Sauce

Hoisin is a blend of soybeans, garlic, chile peppers, and spices; it serves as the base for this Chinese-inspired barbecue sauce. Five-spice powder, also used extensively in Chinese cooking, is a pungent mixture of ground cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and peppercorns.
This recipe goes with Grilled Shrimp-and-Plum Skewers with Sweet Hoisin Sauce

1/3 cup bottled hoisin sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.

Yield: about 1 cup (serving size: 1 tablespoon)

CALORIES 17(11% from fat); FAT 0.2g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 0.2g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 3mg; SODIUM 108mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 0.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 3.5g
Cooking Light, JUNE 2001

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2610

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review