Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Milk Questions!!! new
      #160498 - 03/14/05 03:14 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

Hi Everyone!
Does anyone really like rice milk? I havnt tried it before, and im thinking about it. Does it taste anything like soy milk? Because if it does, then forget it because i am not a big fan of the soy milk! I miss cereal in the mornings so this is why i am so curious about rice milk!
p.s does it have a strong after taste?
*Maybe i should just try it instead of asking all these questions lol ahhaha*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Milk Questions!!! new
      #160501 - 03/14/05 03:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think rice milk is fine but too thinnish. I like vanilla soymilk a lot! It tastes better than milk- like a milkshake. I don't like Silk brand at all but buy Eighth Continent. Try chocolate soy milk first maybe. No one dislikes choc soy milk!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#160504 - 03/14/05 03:23 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

I will definitly try Vanilla and choc. Soy milk. I just tried the regular kind before and i didnt like the after taste in my mouth. Thanks for the advice!
*ill look for those brands, but i doubt i'll find them because i live in a small town in Canada, but thanks! Ill try!*

#160523 - 03/14/05 04:07 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Rice milk has a much milder taste than soy milk in my opinion. That's what I use on my cereal and what I drink most of the time, although I also like some brand of vanilla and chocolate soy milk. For rice milk I like Rice Dream and for soy milk I like Silk. Try Silk's chocolate soy milk... you'll never guess you're not drinking chocolate milk!!

By the way, I hate plain soy milk! Yuck! I agree, try the flavors! I only use plain for baking.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#160558 - 03/14/05 05:26 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

If you're looking for something to drink by the glass I agree the flavoured (choc, vanilla and others) soy milks are probably best if you don't like the regular. I like rice milk - I think it has a more pleasant (sweeter) flavour than the soy milk but it is kind of thin and doesn't resemble cow's milk as much as the soy.

I personally like regular soy milk and drink that and rice milk often - but then I don't really "drink" it (like from a glass) - I grew up without milk my whole life so I never got in that habit or felt the need to replace it - so all these new(ish) "milks" are great because I can discover all these recipes that I could never have before! (like scallopped potatoes for one!) I'm also probably not comparing the taste of these to real milk - since I couldn't really tell you at this point what that tastes like - and just taking the flavours of these products on their own. They taste good to me!

Well I guess I drink it sometimes...I've discovered the joys of warm "milk" or chai tea made with vanilla soymilk in the evenings lately

oh yeah you gotta have vanilla not plain- that is for cooking-yuck- nt
      #160563 - 03/14/05 05:39 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#160636 - 03/15/05 03:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I don't use the falvoured soy milks on a regular basis, but get sweetened soy milk NOT plain...I don't know if that's a UK thing? It's kinda linke the vanilla, but not so flavoursome.

Plain is disgusting.

#160648 - 03/15/05 05:56 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04
Loc: Texas

I use Rice Milk for everything that needs milk. I like it. I put it in mashed potatoe's. It is very thin however, so when I am substituting for real milk I actually cut back on the amount. I make a chocolate pie filling that I put in a bowl and top with meringue(Spelling?) with rice milk. Since it is thinner I usually have to stir the filling each time I get some but it doesn't effect the taste. I also put almond flavor instead of vanilla.
Terry

Re: oh yeah you gotta have vanilla not plain- that is for cooking-yuck- nt new
      #171655 - 04/19/05 09:01 PM
BrianW

Reged: 03/10/05
Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

I actually drink the plain soy milk all the time....I enjoy it...

BrianW

--------------------
helpforibs is my saviour from IBS-C....all hail Heather Van Vorous!!!!

vanilla is yummy... new
      #171686 - 04/20/05 04:28 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I don't drink straight soy milk, but I will drink straight rice milk! does that help?

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 539 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5010

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review