Pages: 1
Velvet chicken from Gourmet
      #158431 - 03/08/05 04:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 1 1/2 hr

1 (3- to 31/2-lb) whole chicken
2 (14-oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup dark soy sauce* (see cooks' note, below)
1 cup Chinese rice wine* (preferably Shaoxing) or medium-dry Sherry
1/4 cup coarsely crushed yellow rock sugar* (2 oz) or 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 bunch scallions, cut into 3-inch pieces
6 (1/4-inch-thick) round slices fresh ginger
4 (3- by 1-inch) strips fresh orange zest
1 tablespoon fine sea salt I don't think you should add any salt
2 whole cloves
2 whole star anise (1 1/2 teaspoons)
1 (2 1/2-inch) dried red chile
1/2 teaspoon Sichuan or black peppercorns

Accompaniment: cooked rice or noodles
Garnish: fresh cilantro leaves

Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry.

Combine remaining ingredients in a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot and bring to a boil.

Add chicken, breast side down, and reduce heat to a simmer. (Chicken may not be completely covered with liquid.) Cook, covered, 15 minutes.

Turn off heat and let chicken stand, covered, 30 minutes. Turn chicken over, then cover and let stand 15 minutes more. (Chicken will be cooked through.)

Transfer chicken to a cutting board, reserving cooking liquid. Cut off drumsticks and thighs, then cut off wings, transferring pieces to a serving platter. (Chicken will release juices.) Separate breast (with rib cage) from back, discarding back.

Using a cleaver or other sharp large heavy knife, cut breast against grain through bone into 1-inch-thick slices.

Spoon some of warm poaching liquid over chicken and serve chicken warm, chilled, or at room temperature. Pour remaining poaching liquid through a sieve set into a bowl and serve additional poaching liquid as a sauce if desired, then reserve remaining liquid to use again.

Cooks' notes:
• Dark soy sauce gives a deeper color to this dish. If it's unavailable, additional regular soy sauce is an acceptable substitute.
• Chicken keeps, covered and chilled, 2 days.
• Leftover poaching liquid keeps, chilled, in an airtight container 1 week, or frozen 3 months. Thaw if necessary and bring to a boil before using.

* Available at Kam Man Food Products (212-571-0330).

Makes 6 servings.
Gourmet
May 2004
Food editor: Lillian Chou
Mother: Sophie Chou, Pine Brook, NJ

link with photo
I skinned the chicken and was worried that it would then be too salty, but it wasn't. I used 1 1/2c soy sauce as that was all I had and an extra 1/2c sherry. I used sherry since I only had about 1/2c rice wine. Anyway this is so good and easy. Use the liquid on your rice.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Velvet chicken from Gourmet new
      #158917 - 03/09/05 06:45 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

DH went on and on about the yummy moistness of this chicken. I just wanted to add that 1c soy sauce and 1c more stock or wine is best. Also strain and save the liquid. You could use it for anything or like me, for another velvet chicken sometime. Just strain and cool, skim fat, and then freeze. Then make another chicken by bringing the liquid to boil- add enough more stock to equal 6 1/2 liquid- boil 1-2 minutes and add chicken. So that makes it economical. On the second chicken I would still add the other seasonings to the pot. Try putting in chicken cavity.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1758

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review