All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Spelt Bread
      #156889 - 03/04/05 06:38 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I posted a while back that I was stable and weaning myself off of the boards. It is easy and fun to dive in and enjoy the goings-on on the boards but I must stay focused on my work, family and teaching!

This is the spelt bread recipe I told you all about. It originally called for sesame seed and I replaced the sesame with flax seed as I didn't care for the sesame taste. I can use milk in recipes but can't really drink it straight or eat other dairy products. I am sure that you can substitute soy milk.

This bread has been so helpful with keeping me "going"...constipation is a thing of the past. As with all recipes you should adapt them to meet your stomachs needs. I hope you enjoy the recipe...Happy

SPELT BREAD

INGREDIENTS:
8 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup flax seed
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/4 cups milk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl, mix together the spelt flour, sesame seeds, salt, molasses, baking soda and milk until well blended. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Placing a tin of the same size over the top of the loaf while baking gives it a lovely crust.

taken from the Allrecipe website

--------------------
"puffy"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Is spelt flour IF? -nt- new
      #156900 - 03/04/05 06:46 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Spelt Flour is... new
      #157032 - 03/04/05 11:49 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

actually an old world wheat. Many that can't tolerate wheat can eat spelt or kamut (because it doesn't have all the same enzymes that modern day wheat has), but it is still wheat and has gluten, so a Celiac or someone that is gluten intolerant should not eat it.
Let me ask you. Is the spelt flour dark or light? If dark it is the same as using whole wheat flour and quite high in insoluble fiber. The white flour is much more soluble. But if you can handle the dark, more power to you. Kandee

--------------------

I have been using the dark...just found the white, can't wait to use it! ~nt~ new
      #157035 - 03/04/05 11:51 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

--------------------
"puffy"

Where did you find the spelt flour? new
      #201552 - 08/01/05 07:07 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Where can I find white spelt flour or the dark? Which kind are you using now to help your constipation?

Also, what brand of flax seed did you use and was it the whole seed or the ground up kind?

Thanks! I am very interested in trying this! Do you need to eat a solulbe fiber food beforehand?

I also saw a post where you said you had a spelt muffin recipe. Could you post that as well?

Thank you so much!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6387

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review