All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!
      #152191 - 02/20/05 02:55 PM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

I just made a batch of these and immediately thought of my IBS friends as I haven't posted in a while. This recipe came out of the latest Cooking Light (my favorite cooking mag!!!)

3 tbsp canola
2 1/2 tbsp corn syrup
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites
1 1/4 C flour
1 1/4 C whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 C chocolate chips (could use carob chips but I used the real deal!)
Cooking spray
1. Combine oil and syrup in a large bowl, stir well with whisk. Add sugars stir well. Stir in vanilla and eggs.
2. Combine flours, soda, and salt in another bowl. Add to sugar mixture and stir well. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F
4. Drop by level tbsp 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 F for 8 min. or until almost set. Cool on pan for 2 min or until firm. Yield 44 cookies.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey! new
      #152228 - 02/20/05 04:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was just going to post this one! I love Cooking Light too and always recommend it. I think everyone should subscribe.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Hey! new
      #153128 - 02/23/05 09:14 AM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

I'm PMSing and needed some good old JUNK! I could've eaten the whole batch if it hadn't been for DH and DD's!!! It was so comforting to know I could eat the whole batch and not be really ill!!!

I've been subscribing to cooking light for 10 years now and I love every issue. Finally just started clipping recipes and throwing the magazines away! The food is easily adaptable for my dietary issues. And everything is always super yummy.
Rena

Re: Hey! new
      #153386 - 02/23/05 04:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yep I love CL too. I have subscribed for 8 years. I made the cookies on Monday and everyone liked them a lot. I think it was a great recipe.
I have e-mailed CL a couple times about doing an article about IBS and the IBS diet but they refuse and say there aren't enough people that would be interested! I believe about 1/3 of the population has IBS and since the diet is healthy otherwise they might as well run an article! I should keep trying. It would be a good way to let more people know there is a diet that would help them.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies!!! new
      #214777 - 09/20/05 03:10 PM
Laurel M

Reged: 04/18/05
Loc: Texas

I just have a quick question: the recipe calls for whole wheat flour, which I thought was a no-no for us. Or is it okay because it's also using "safe" flour, and that helps "pave the way" for the whole wheat stuff?

Thanks...I'm looking forward to trying these cookies, as I've really missed chocolate chip cookies!!

Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies!!! new
      #214799 - 09/20/05 04:30 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I always use all white flour instead. Your call. A lot of people would probably be OK w/ the whole wheat, since it does have half white flour as well. If you don't do well with insolubles, I'd just do all white flour. Anyway, I've made these several times and they are excellent!

P.S. if you're lazy, you can spread the whole batch in a jelly roll pan and bake that way

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pastry flour is very finely milled, new
      #214819 - 09/20/05 05:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

so I'm able to use it much more easily than regular whole wheat flour. You could also just sub regular white flour.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Fabulous! new
      #286467 - 10/14/06 12:37 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made these last night and they're great. I used all white flour and snuck in a few extra chips, other than that I followed the recipe exactly. The only problem is that the raw dough is so good, I ended up eating about 5 cookies that way.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Choc chips are safe??? new
      #286673 - 10/16/06 01:39 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

So does this mean chocolate chips are safe? Like regular old toll house morsels?? We can eat those??? I thought we couldn't have chocolate... just cocoa in recipes... please tell me I'm wrong!

Re: Choc chips are safe??? new
      #286684 - 10/16/06 03:01 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The problem with chocolate chips is twofold: First, they almost always have dairy. I found dairy-free ones - I bought Ghiradelli brand but I'm pretty sure some people have posted that they've found store brands that are dairy free. The Ghiradelli package says, "May contain trace amounts of dairy" but my understanding is that since no dairy shows up in the list of ingredients that's just a warning because the chips are made on equipment that also makes dairy.

Second - and this there is no way to get around - chocolate chips are high in fat. My Ghiradelli chips get more than 50% of calories from fat. Once you put them in the chocolate chip cookie recipes the percent for the whole recipe is less than that, of course, but my guess is that these cookies are still on the high side as far as fat is concerned (I haven't done the math). This means that - like a lot of the desserts on the Recipe Board - they should be eaten in reasonable quantities (ROFL) after a low-fat high SF meal.

The same rules hold true for candy bars, chocolate bars, and ice cream - if you can find ones that don't contain any triggers like dairy or egg yolks you can handle their high fat content provided you eat a little of them after a low-fat high SF meal.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 247 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68649

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review