Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Use safflower, sunflower, or soybean oil instead. - nt- new
      #313228 - 08/14/07 05:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies!!! new
      #313234 - 08/14/07 06:26 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Oh my...these are so amazing!! I used only half of the chocolate chips (Sam's Choice) to reduce the fat content, and they had tons of chips in each one. Whole wheat flour and I don't get along, so I left it out. Instead I used 3/4 c. of white flour and 1/2 c. of quick oats. They turned out wonderfully! I may have to fight off my hubby from eating them all, who by the way has a rock-hard stomach. My oldest son is developing my stomach, and it is so nice to have a "real" cookie for him to eat. We will be making these often!

Thank you for the great recipe!!

MeiMei

Re: Hey! new
      #313235 - 08/14/07 06:27 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Thanks...I just did!

Re: Frustrated new
      #313888 - 08/25/07 06:42 AM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

Well I followed your advice about spooning the flour and they were much improved meaning the dough stuck together nice and did not crumble. The consistency seemed right and I thought I had a winner but when I baked them they still did not fall properly and the centers of the cookies seemed to not be cooked. I have a thermometer in my oven so I know the temp was right. The only other thing I noticed was when I mixed the dry with the wet it was very thick and hard to stir. Maybe I didn't get this mixed enough? Am I supposed to use a mixer for any part of the process? I didn't measure the liquid in glass cups because they called for tablespoons. I used plastic tablespoons. Could that really make the difference? I really want to get these right again because I know how good they can be. Also I am using the metal mixing bowls now and a wooden spoon, is that ok? If nothing else I guess I will just try less flour next time. I'm starting to feel like an idiot here for screwing this up so many times.

Quote:

Yes, it is 1.25 C flour EACH for a total of 2.5 cups. Do make sure you are measuring it correctly. Flour should be measured by lightly spooning it into the measuring cup until it overflows, and then leveling it off with a knife. If you just dip the cup into the flour bin then chances are you're getting a lot more flour than you intended. Liquid ingredients should be measured in glass measuring cups.

And don't forget the common-sense rule ... if it's too dry, then put in less of the main dry ingredient (flour in this case), and if it's too wet then put in less of the main liquid ingredient. You can always add more later but you can't take it out.

I have made these a million times and they always turn out yummy. The only modification I usually make is that I use all white flour. I am not sophisticated enough for the whole-wheat pastry flour.

Keep trying, they are well worth the effort!!

#350236 - 09/23/09 11:10 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

This recipe rocks!! I was thoroughly convinced that there was no decent way to make non-dairy, low fat cookies, but love them. Here's the variation I made, along with nutritional analysis.

3 tbsp canola
2 1/2 tbsp corn syrup
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites
1 1/4 C flour
1/2 C instant oats - used this instead of whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C chocolate chips
Cooking spray
1. Combine oil and syrup in a large bowl, stir well with whisk. Add sugars stir well. Stir in vanilla and eggs.
2. Combine flours, soda, and salt in another bowl. Add to sugar mixture and stir well. Mix in chocolate chips. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F
4. Drop by level tbsp 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 F for 8 min. or until almost set. Cool on pan for 2 min or until firm. Yield 44 cookies.

Each cookie contains:
64 calories, 21 calories from fat
2 grams Fat
1 gram saturated fat
11 grams carbohydrates
9 grams sugar
1 gram protein

#350251 - 09/24/09 08:16 PM

Unregistered

would these chocolate chips be safe and work well in the recipe? http://www.nutsonline.com/chocolatessweets/chocolate-wafers/carob.html

#350254 - 09/24/09 09:12 PM
frygurl

Those have partially hydrogenated oil - not good. Here are the ones I used: Chocolate Chips

#350261 - 09/25/09 07:15 AM

Unregistered

my walmart doesn't have those and there are no stores within 100miles that has it. Organic Cocoa Butter is in those,isn't that dairy? whays hygrogenated oil bad?

cocoa butter and hyrdogenated oil (aka trans fat)
      #350266 - 09/25/09 09:07 AM
frygurl

By reading labels carefully, you should be able to find non-dairy chocolate chips at your store.

Cocoa butter has no dairy, it is a vegetable fat:
"Cocoa butter is the natural fat extracted from the cacao bean. Also known as oil of theobroma, cocoa butter is slightly yellowish in color, and while it is extracted from chocolate, it has a bland taste and only a faint chocolate smell. It is edible and is used in making white chocolate and certain confections, but has many uses beyond the kitchen."

Hydrogenated oils are trans fats:
"Unlike other dietary fats, trans fats are not essential, and they do not promote good health.[1] The consumption of trans fats increases one's risk of coronary heart disease[2] by raising levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol and lowering levels of "good" HDL cholesterol.[3] Health authorities worldwide recommend that consumption of trans fat be reduced to trace amounts. Trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils are more harmful than naturally occurring oils.[4]"

Re: cocoa butter and hyrdogenated oil (aka trans fat)
      #350268 - 09/25/09 10:11 AM

Unregistered

could u post a link where I could buy some online..I couldn't find any in this town.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 344 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68878

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review