All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Choc chips are safe??? new
      #286685 - 10/16/06 03:05 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

They aren't 'safe' but I can handle them in small quantity in something like Oatmeal muffins.

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

fat content new
      #286709 - 10/16/06 06:47 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I clipped this from "Cooking Light" and the CFF is 22%. However, that's from the original recipe -- I can't imagine there will be that much difference in calories from the whole wheat pastry flour vs. white flour, but I don't know if grain-sweetened chocolate chips have less calories than regular chocolate chips. I'm betting they have just as much fat.

I am almost positive that the Wal-Mart generic brand (Sam's Choice, I believe) is "safe" as far as ingredients go, but of course as Sand said they're high in fat and need to be used in moderation. For anyone else in the Midwest, Hy-Vee's lower-budget generic chocolate chips are also safe (or they were last time I bought them) -- I can't remember what the brand name is, though. Market Faire or something like that? The bag is a sort of ghastly washed-out aqua color.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

So I made these again tonight and I realized... new
      #288187 - 10/27/06 04:47 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

that nowhere in the recipe does it say when to add the chocolate chips. I've been adding them once the two bowls are combined and before refrigeration and that seems to work.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Chocolate chips and nuts new
      #289728 - 11/11/06 11:38 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made these again and substituted chopped pecans for half the chocolate chips. They're really good that way but it does add more calories and more fat.

1/2 cup chocolate chips has 280 calories, 160 from fat
1/2 cup chopped pecans has 420 calories, 380 from fat

And the nuts are more IF, too.

Oh, and I've left the raw dough in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and the cookies turned out fine when I baked them.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: ooohhh these are good new
      #299572 - 02/11/07 08:39 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I went to a potluck last night where the only thing I ate was the chicken dish I brought, the rice I brought, and the cantaloupe I brought. (I was told not to bring desserts because they had so many people bringing cakes and stuff, all of which I couldn't eat)

Sooo.. today I spoiled myself and made an entire batch of these cookies (minus about 3 cookie's worth of dough) and they were sooo good! I ate about 8 after cooking them. I've never felt so free to endulge!

mmmm chocolate chip cookies

--------------------
Kat

Frustrated new
      #312974 - 08/10/07 08:58 AM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

I've tried this 3 times and one time it seemed to work but the other 2 times were disasters and I don't know what I could have done different. When I mix the 2 bowls together it is soooo dry that I usually end up with a bowl full of crumbles.
It is 1-1/4 cups of EACH flour combining for 2-1/2 cups total correct? It's like there is too much flour or not enough liquid. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW it is usually good enough to eat raw (although very tough and chewy) but when I try to bake them they are too stiff to fall and end up in the same shape cooked as they were raw (and taste unpleasant).

Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies!!! new
      #312981 - 08/10/07 10:16 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Ooooh this sounds good! I'd rather use white chocolate chips. Hey, since there really isn't any chocolate in white chocolate, would it be safe?

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Re: Frustrated new
      #313040 - 08/11/07 07:34 PM
jen1013

Yes, it is 1.25 C flour EACH for a total of 2.5 cups. Do make sure you are measuring it correctly. Flour should be measured by lightly spooning it into the measuring cup until it overflows, and then leveling it off with a knife. If you just dip the cup into the flour bin then chances are you're getting a lot more flour than you intended. Liquid ingredients should be measured in glass measuring cups.

And don't forget the common-sense rule ... if it's too dry, then put in less of the main dry ingredient (flour in this case), and if it's too wet then put in less of the main liquid ingredient. You can always add more later but you can't take it out.

I have made these a million times and they always turn out yummy. The only modification I usually make is that I use all white flour. I am not sophisticated enough for the whole-wheat pastry flour.

Keep trying, they are well worth the effort!!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies!!! new
      #313041 - 08/11/07 07:37 PM
jen1013

These are really good if you make them w/ white chocolate chips instead, roll each cookie into a ball, and then roll it in granulated white sugar prior to baking.

However ... nearly all white chocolate chips have milk in them. There are vegan white chocolate chips out there, but I've never used them because they were so expensive. They are also just as high in fat as regular chocolate chips, so be careful there too.

--------------------
jen

Canola Oil? new
      #313227 - 08/14/07 05:00 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi I am diyng to try these but can't have the canola oil any thing elese I could use in its place? thanks
Emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 310 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 68430

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review