All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yummy Chocolate chip pumpkin cake
      #15049 - 07/27/03 06:17 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

My mom made this cake when I was a kid-way before we ever heard of IBS! Those were the days... this recipe should be tolerated well by everybody unless you can't eat solid chocolate chips. The nuts are optional.
Ingredients: I small can pumpkin
3 cups white flour
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs (substitute egg white equivalent)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup canola oil ( you could use 3/4)
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
12 ounces semi sweet choc. chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix all ingredients excepts chips and nuts in a large bowl ( no need to sift) Then add chips and nuts. Spoon into a greased large bundt pan. Bake from 50-60 minutes at 350. Cool then invert onto a serving plate.

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'd reduce the oil and up the pumpkin... new
      #15106 - 07/27/03 05:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You could probably very, very successfully decrease oil to 1/4 cup and increase pumpkin by another 3/4 cup. I have a very similar recipe to this (from when I was a kid!) and it is absolutely delicious, and I altered the pumpkin/oil ratio like this. I find that the soluble fiber from the cake (pumpkin is super high in this) lets me tolerate the chocolate chips just fine.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I'd reduce the oil and up the pumpkin... new
      #15120 - 07/27/03 08:17 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

There is a Weight Watchers recipe for chocolate pumpkin muffins that I have made. It's made with a chocolate cake mix, a can of pumpkin and just a little water (1/4--1/2 cup.) They are delicious! The batter is really thick and you would never think they would taste like they do, but you can't even detect the pumpkin. They are so moist and yummy! I know cake mix is an IBS no-no, but I thought this might help you figure out the ingredients.

#15130 - 07/27/03 10:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Actually, the cake mix might be okay. Check the ingredients - if there's no dairy and the fat content is low (or can be controlled by the amount of oil vs. fruit puree you add to the mix) it should be just fine.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#15203 - 07/28/03 10:46 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Great! And I forgot to mention that you can make cupcakes out of this batter. Then put them in a ziplock bag and keep them in the freezer. Pop one out when you need a chocolate fix and defrost in the microwave until warm and googey. Yum, I'm making myself hungry!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7557

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review