All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chickpea suggestions?
      #147060 - 02/05/05 06:22 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I went and bought some chickpeas, but don't know what to do with them besides make hummus. Does anyone have any easy recipe suggestions on how to incorporate these into my diet?

I did a search already on the recipe board, but the few recipes listed were either too complicated or too spicey/triggery for me!!!

I need easy and safe ideas (with limited tricky foods). The blander and less ingredients involved the better.

Thanks. Maybe I should just mash them and add to rice or pasta or bread?

How do you guys eat them?

Forgot to add, I'm eating Gluten Free so no pita bread, couscous, or other gluten for me!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Here's an idea! new
      #147062 - 02/05/05 06:39 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

This is really tasty!

Autumn Couscous

I know it's not Autumn, but oh well.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

And another... new
      #147063 - 02/05/05 06:41 PM
Kree

This one is also AWESOME! I like it better than real tuna.

Mock Tuna Salad

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Thanks Kree, but this one new
      #147064 - 02/05/05 06:48 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

has too many triggers for me personally(peppers, red pepper flakes, tomatoes (I think) onion, garlic, plus the couscous has gluten in it and I need to stay GF

Too bad because it sounds so yummy!

The tuna one sounds like a possibility if I omit the onions. Is pickle relish safe? Isn't it cucumbers which are gassy?

Thanks!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I just found this one... new
      #147068 - 02/05/05 07:06 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

North African Chickpeas... it sounds so good, I may well try that myself tomorrow!

It sounds to me like it would be flavorful enough that you could leave the crushed red pepper right out of it. You can also substitute garlic powder for the garlic; it'll be easier to digest. Grating the onion, as opposed to slicing, will do the same. But it's already got some good soluble in it (sweet potato), and they recommend serving it over rice, so it sounds like it would be really safe!

Oh, and... new
      #147069 - 02/05/05 07:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Something really simple that I used to do now and then is make "bean burgers" with any canned beans that I had around. Chickpeas work really well. Just mash them up, and then add something to bind it - I usually used about 1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs moistened with water, but you could use soft breadcrumbs made by grating some of your GF bread & less water. When it seems like it's holding together pretty well, season it as desired - salt, pepper, onion/garlic powder, lemon juice, and a dash of allspice is what I liked, because it gave it a Lebanese flavor. Then shape it into thin patties and panfry it till golden on both sides. It makes a good sandwich, but you could just eat them as is with some kind of dressing or plain soy yogurt, too.

Re: Chickpea suggestions? new
      #147071 - 02/05/05 07:54 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Jamie Oliver made a marinade and sauce with smashed chick peas and yogurt and herbs. you could change it to soy yogurt if you can find plain flavor and put it on a chicken instead of lamb. marinade recipe

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Good idea Casey. new
      #147073 - 02/05/05 08:08 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Something really simple that I used to do now and then is make "bean burgers" with any canned beans that I had around. Chickpeas work really well. Just mash them up, and then add something to bind it - I usually used about 1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs moistened with water, but you could use soft breadcrumbs made by grating some of your GF bread & less water. When it seems like it's holding together pretty well, season it as desired - salt, pepper, onion/garlic powder, lemon juice, and a dash of allspice is what I liked, because it gave it a Lebanese flavor. Then shape it into thin patties and panfry it till golden on both sides. It makes a good sandwich, but you could just eat them as is with some kind of dressing or plain soy yogurt, too.

This is something I would do. I love bean/veggie burgers. Thanks for the suggestion.

Normally, I just dump some garbanzos into a green salad to add some insolubles and protein, and be done with it...or put them into a cold spaghetti salad. Kandee

--------------------

Comments... new
      #147139 - 02/06/05 06:59 AM
Kree

Quote:

has too many triggers for me personally(peppers, red pepper flakes, tomatoes (I think) onion, garlic, plus the couscous has gluten in it and I need to stay GF

Too bad because it sounds so yummy!

The tuna one sounds like a possibility if I omit the onions. Is pickle relish safe? Isn't it cucumbers which are gassy?

Thanks!

Hi Augie! I agree with Casey, if the couscous looks good to you you can easily adapt it to fit your needs. I actually leave out the red pepper flakes myself just due to personal taste.

As for the sweet pickle relish in the salad, 1 Tbsp really shouldn't be enough to bother you, especially if you eat it as a sandwich and get the soluble fiber base from the bread. I even use relish on veggie burgers and it's never bothered me. It's all about using things in moderation.

--------------------

Re: Oh, and... new
      #147961 - 02/08/05 06:38 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Mmmmm Casey this sounds so good! I'm definitely going to try it. Sounds ilke it would taste a little like a falafal... ? (I miss falafals so much!)

I sometimes make burgers from canned tuna or salmon and a little bit of egg white usually does a pretty good job of binding it all together. That might work here too if you can't do the breadcrumbs Augie.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4740

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review