All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
mushroom barley soup
      #147046 - 02/05/05 05:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I bought some portobellos last week at Sam's since they are so cheap and I wanted to use them and so made soup since DH was sick. Here is the recipe. I really think creminis would be better than portobellos -that blackishness of portobellos is kind of icky

1 little package dried mushrooms of choice (chanterelle or porcini is preferred)
1 1/2c boiling water
onions and shallots minced
garlic minced
bouquet garni of rosemary, parsley and thyme
2 portobello caps or 1 package cremini coarsely chopped
6 largish white gourmet bulk mushrooms coarsely chopped
1/2c pearled barley
chopped carrot and/or parsnip is optional (add with barley)
3 cans chicken broth
1/2c or more sherry, madeira or marsala
salt and pepper

Pour boiling water on dried mushrooms and soak 20 minutes. Meanwhile chop veg etc. In a stockpot, add Pam and onions and shallots and saute 2 minutes. Add garlic saute 2 minutes. Add fresh mushrooms and s&p and saute for about 10 minutes. Add herbs. Add barley and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add alcohol and stir around. Add 2 1/2 cans broth and the other mushrooms with their liquid (they might need rinsing and the liquid might need to be poured through cheesecloth or paper towel b/c sometimes they are dirty). Simmer for maybe an hour (I lost track of time) or until barley is tender. Add rest of broth as needed. Season as needed. Serve with crusty bread. (hubby got a roastbeef sandwich with his )

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1159

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review