All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Recipe Help!!! Salsa Verde
      #14580 - 07/22/03 07:49 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

This recipe is an old family favorite and I'm just dying to make it for my bf, and I want to eat it too!! Is there any way to make this IBS-friendly without sacrificing too much taste?

2 tiny cans Salsa Verde (green chilli) bought a regular grocery store
Green Pepper, diced
White onion, diced
1 can pinto beans
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c Montery Jack cheese (w/ jalapenos)
Dried onions
1 lb. chicken breast

Brown chicken breast with some dried onion, cut into bite-size pieces. Mix remaining ingredients in large pot and bring to a simmer. Add chicken to the mix after it's browned. Heat at a simmer until cheese is melted and all ingredients are well cooked. Usually at least one hour.

Serve as soup or use as a dip for tortilla chips. This recipe is fabulous!!!

**Ok, so obviously I can't use Montery Jack cheese. Do they make a soy sub? And for the cream of chicken soup...can I use Swansons FF Chicken Broth and maybe some corn starch to thicken? Any ideas would be welcome!**

By the way, this makes a large batch of salsa and can be frozen. If this can't be make IBS-friendly, it would still be a quick and easy meal for mom's with IBS to make ahead of time and then thaw out later for the family. I love this stuff and hope hope hope that there's hope for a good and tasty modification.

Thanks all!!!

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Recipe Help!!! Salsa Verde new
      #14605 - 07/22/03 01:14 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

You can make this IBS-safe. 1) Eat with lots of baked tortilla chips. 2) Make a batch of condensed soup substitute with soy milk and chicken bouillon to replace the cream of chicken soup--I'll post a recipe in a few days when I have my computer set up (I just moved and I'm using my boyf's computer, which doesn't have my recipes on it). 3) Yes, if you can tolerate casein, SoyaKaas makes a jalapeno-jack soy cheese. It isn't very good plain (neither is the Cheddar), but it works great for cooking. If you can't tolerate casein, though, you'll have to experiment with other cheeses. Best of luck! and I'll get back to you in a few days about the soup sub.

#14618 - 07/22/03 01:47 PM
jules

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to do that. I wanted to make this tonite for my bf, so I used Tofutti Mozz Cheese mixed with some chopped jalapeno peppers. I used a can of Swanson's FF Chicken broth and thickened with corn starch. I'd love to try whatever recipe you come up with for this. I'm hesitant, however, to feed my bf soy as I've read that it lowers testosterone and sperm levels. (Plus the fact that he works for a meat company and HATES my veggie lifestyle...lol...) Do you have any knowledge of the soy issue?

Oh, btw the batch that I made turned out ok, and I bought some baked tostitos for me and some El Matador Tortilla Chips (used to be my fave) for my bf. Looking forward to your recipe!

Thanks again!!!

--------------------
~jules

#14619 - 07/22/03 02:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Jules - I wouldn't trust that info about the soy. I've read tons of research on this issue and there aren't any reliable studies to show that soy has a negative impact on health - if anything, studies have shown the exact opposite.

For a post on soy and women's health check here web page

For soy and men's health check here web page This is a page on prostate cancer from the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine. They have a great health page here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#14657 - 07/23/03 05:21 AM
jules

Thanks Heather, I'm gonna have to show that to my bf. I'm so tired of eating the same meals with entirely different food prep.

I'll check those articles out.

--------------------
~jules

re: condensed soup substitute new
      #20140 - 09/09/03 10:26 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Sorry, I know it's been a million years since I promised you this recipe, but my family's computer ate my disk with recipes on it while I was home this summer , and I've had to dig the ones I want out of various archives and things. To make a sub for cream of *chicken* soup, I would leave out the mushrooms and season the soup with chicken bouillon to taste (1 teaspoon or whatever it says to use per cup of liquid).

Canned Mushroom Soup Substitute

2 tablespoons butter/margarine
1/3 cup sliced mushrooms
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup soy/rice milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
A grating of fresh nutmeg

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the flour and stir until the mixture has formed a paste and the flour and the butter are thoroughly incorporated. Add the milk and stir with a whisk or spoon until the paste is completely dissolved. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
--World Wide Recipes, 5-2-99

Thanks!! new
      #20151 - 09/10/03 06:29 AM
jules

When I made this I subbed the cream of chicken soup with a can of Swanson's ff chicken broth and some corn starch. Wasn't as flavorful and I would have liked, but it was still aweseome, and I tolerated it fairly well!

I'm going to try your recipe next time I make it. Sounds great!!!

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 198 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16389

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review