All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Baked Goods
      #128 - 01/29/03 11:42 PM
TeaWoman

Reged: 01/29/03

I wanted to know if anyone has successfully converted any cookie or brownie recipes and if so, how did it turn out? Please give examples! I am a cookie monster and love baked goods, and have given them up to feel better (and I have felt better!) But, I do have cravings and would like safe alternatives. Thanks in advance!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Brownies! new
      #162 - 01/30/03 11:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm working on a brownie recipe for the next newsletter (it's Valentine's Day, and a chocolate splurge seemed appropriate!)

Cookies in general that rely on a lot of solid fat like butter or shortening are hard to convert. If you reduce that fat enough to make the cookie IBS safe, you ruin the texture. Drop cookies are especially tough.

I have had good luck with some oatmeal raisin variations and also some old-fashioned lemon bars that are fabulous. I'll dig those up and post them!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Baked Goods new
      #176 - 01/30/03 02:25 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi TeaWoman - I have a Weight Watchers recipe for Fudgy Brownies that I just love.

1 oz. +5 tbsp pureed prunes (Gerber's Baby Food 2.5 oz. jars)
1-1/2 c sugar
3/4 c unsweetened cocoa
3 lg egg whites or egg beaters
1 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 325. Mix sugar, cocoa, prunes, egg product. Stir well. Batter will be stiff.
Lightly spoon flour into dry meas cup and level w/knife. Combine flour and baking powder. Add all to sugar mixture, stirring til smooth.
Pour batter into 9" square baking pan coated w/cooking spray. Even out batter with knife or wooden spoon. Bake at 325 for 30 min. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into 16 pieces. About 3 Weight Watcher points per piece. They freeze well. I put them in zip top bags in the freezer. When I want one, I take it out, let it defrost (or put in microwave for a few seconds) and eat. They're very fudgy and moist. Good Luck and let us know how they turn out for you.
This recipe was revised from Weight Watchers Annual Recipes for Success 2003 Cookbook.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#178 - 01/30/03 02:32 PM
mauwjauw

I substitute all the oil in a recipe with applesauce with no problems. I've done this with cakes, muffins, brownies and, yes, even cookies. The cakes, muffins, brownies, etc., tend to have a heavier consistency. The cookies, were definitely a different texture, more cake-like or chewy, not crunchie. I know that the experts will tell you to use a little of the oil required for texture and taste, but, being the obstinate person I am, I replace all the oil with applesauce. I like my baked goods to have a more dense texture, so I'm happy with the end result. Every recipe that I've converted, has worked.

#210 - 01/30/03 07:11 PM
Jane

I am a cookie monster too! I have made cookies and brownies using Smart Beat margarine for the butter/shortening, and although you can tell the difference, the results have always been very good. I don't know if any of the ingredients in Smart Beat are a common trigger, though. I have no problem with it, but that doesn't mean no one else will (had to add a disclaimer there!)
Jane

#253 - 01/31/03 10:40 PM
kel1963

Hi. I haven't posted here before but I'm Kelly and I live in Australia. I have a cookie recipe that you may be able to convert so that you can use it. Hope this helps.....2 egg whites, 1 cup of quick cook oats, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp corn flour and some sultanas which are optional. Whisk the egg whites until frothy, gradually whisk in sugar, add oats, corn flour and sultanas then mix thoroughly together. Put tspfuls on a greased (I use spray) tray allowing for spreading then bake in a slow to moderate oven for approx. 20 mins. Cool a little in tin before removing to a cooling rack and then ENJOY! I have no problems with these cookies and I hope you all enjoy them too.

#277 - 02/01/03 03:41 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

TeaWoman - I have a cook book called Mott's applesauce A Better Way to Bake Delicious Low Fat Recipes. Copyright 1995 by Cadbury Beverages, Inc. This edition was published by Publications Intl, Ltd., 7373 N. Cicero Ave., Lincolnwood, IL 60646. The categories are: Muffin Magic (quick-to-fix low fat), Breakfast Delights (slimmed down quick and yeast breads), Featherweight Cakes , Tempting Treats (cookies and bars), Fit Finales (lite vers of tarts to tortes) and Savory Creations (entrees and side dishes). These recipes can be converted for IBS using Heather's guidelines. The Gingersnaps were really good. Good Luck.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#281 - 02/01/03 04:30 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I found this on Mori Nu website. Looked good. I thought I would try it. I was wondering if someone else might want to try it or has tried it.

TASTY TOFU BROWNIE SNACKS
Servings: 12

Copyright Holly Rudin-Braschi 1997

Ingredients
Dry Ingredients:
1-1/3 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. canola oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 package Mori-Nu Silken Lite Firm Tofu
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup European processed cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. finely chopped walnuts for garnish (optional )

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut a piece of wax paper to fit bottom of 8 x 8" baking pan. With paper removed, spray the bottom and sides of pan with canola spray. Place wax paper on top of greased pan bottom and grease top of wax paper. In a food processor fitted with metal chopping blade, process all dry ingredients. Empty into small bowl and set aside. Place all wet ingredients in work bowl and process until smooth, scraping the bowl sides occasionally. Add dry mixture all at once. Pulse to blend until dry ingredients are just moistened. Scrape mixture into prepared pan, sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 22 minutes or until brownies pull away from sides. Let cool for 15 minutes before turning out.

Nutritional Facts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calories: 121 Fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 25.4g
Sodium: - Cholesterol:: 0mg Protein: 3.4g

#345880 - 05/11/09 09:36 AM
Tebby

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: Texas

SharonMello- a big thank you for your awesome brownie recipe. I made them thinking I would freeze them for when I have a chocolate craving but they were all eaten by my family! I kept telling them they wouldn't like them but they were so chocolately and rich, they couldn't resist. Thanks so much.

--------------------
IBS-D, GAD, GERD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12295

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review