All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Asian Turkey-Noodle Soup with Ginger and Chiles
      #125515 - 11/26/04 02:14 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

This one's from epicurious... I'm eating it right now without the chiles, mint, and bean sprouts (I'm having a bad tummy day), and it's still quite tasty.

3 1/2 ounces medium-wide (linguine-width) rice noodles,* broken into 6-inch lengths
Boiling water

6 cups homemade turkey stock or low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 3 large)
6 1/8-inch-thick rounds peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc nam)* or soy sauce
2 cups diced cooked turkey meat (about 10 ounces)

Fresh bean sprouts
Fresh mint leaves
Thinly sliced serrano chiles
Lime wedges

Place noodles in large bowl. Add enough boiling water to cover noodles. Let stand until noodles are soft, about 5 minutes; drain.

Combine stock, shallots, ginger, and fish sauce in large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover partially, and simmer 10 minutes. Discard ginger slices. Return stock to boil. Stir in noodles and turkey; simmer until turkey is heated through, about 3 minutes.

Ladle soup into bowls. Serve, allowing diners to top each serving with bean sprouts, mint leaves, chiles, and lime wedges to squeeze over.

*Available in the Asian foods section of most supermarkets.

To make turkey stock: Break up the carcass so that it its into a 6-quart or larger pot. Add 3 quarts water and 1 each coarsely chopped onion, carrot, and celery stalk. Bring to boil, skimming off any foam. Add 6 parsley sprigs, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns. Simmer 2 to 3 hours. Strain, then skim off any fat from surface of the broth.

Makes 6 servings.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Asian Turkey-Noodle Soup with Ginger and Chiles new
      #125537 - 11/26/04 03:44 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

THis sounds good! I think I'll try to make this with left over turkey this weekend. Thanks, Casey

Shel

sounds good- adding to favorites- nt new
      #125555 - 11/26/04 05:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Question ... new
      #125723 - 11/28/04 02:01 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Does fish sauce taste fishy?? I love Asian food, and want to try more recipes (this one sounds yummy!) but am afraid of that fishy taste - it makes me gag

Does it add that flavor, or do something else to the recipe? Or do all of the other ingredients drown out the fishy flavor? Thanks for your help!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Answer! new
      #125724 - 11/28/04 02:23 AM
atomic rose

Fish sauce does taste fishy. I used soy sauce, honestly, and it was tasty, but you'll definitely want to taste it and maybe add more at the end... I think fish sauce adds a little more flavor than soy.

Re: Question ... new
      #125732 - 11/28/04 05:58 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think the predominate flavor is salty. I never thought of it as fishy. I use it for salt in a lot of Thai cooking and hub likes to put it on things that should have soy sauce but he prefers the fish sauce. I would recommend trying it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I made this with fish sauce yesterday..... new
      #125737 - 11/28/04 06:13 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

It does make it taste a little fishy. I'm sensitive to "fishy" smells, too. I'll probably try it with soy sauce next time, but it was honestly good even with the fish sauce. (My dh couldn't taste the fish sauce. He didn't even think the soup tasted Asian. He thought it tasted like chicken noodle soup. )

#125755 - 11/28/04 07:57 AM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

If I just have ground ginger, what amount would you recommend?

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#125760 - 11/28/04 08:41 AM
atomic rose

Hmm... start with 1/2 teaspoon, and increase to taste. The soup isn't very gingery, but fresh would definitely add more of a kick than ground.

Thanks for your help everyone! new
      #125777 - 11/28/04 10:03 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I know my dad uses it sometimes when he cooks, so I'll have to try it. If I don't like it, I can always drown it in soy sauce

Many thanks!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 397 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4980

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review