All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Easy Indian potatoes and cauliflower
      #124330 - 11/21/04 01:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I made this up last night. Roasted potatoes with cauliflower is popular in India I guess.

4 yukon gold potatoes cut into large dice (about an inch square or a little less)
1 head cauliflower cut into large bite size pieces
1T. oil
1 spoon curry powder
1 spoon garam masala seasoning
1 spoon minced garlic
kosher salt

Heat oven real hot 450. Place potatoes on a tray with spray and roast for 15 minutes. Then take out an stir and add the other ingredients except the cauliflower. Roast 15 more minutes. Make sure potatoes are getting close to tender and stir in cauliflower. Roast for about 25 minutes stirring a couple times, or until everything is tender and the cauliflower is a little brown on the edges.

I served this with Indian chicken wraps. I took some tandoori marinade that comes in a jar. I am not sure how easy it is to find. It was Pataks brand from the UK import section of my store. Anyway I marinated some chicken breast and cooked it up with some sliced onion and served it on flour tortillas with mango chutney and some greens. It was delicious and easy. The Pataks mango chutney was awesome! (and to think I always hated that kind of thing when I was younger.)

If you can't find garam masala make your own. It is easy and keeps in a jar for a long time.

Garam Masala

2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
3/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds
1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat; add all ingredients. Cook 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Place spice mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.

Yield: about 1/3 cup
Garam Masala

This homemade spice mixture is much darker and more flavorful than commercial varieties. Toasting the spices is a crucial step that gives the masala a deep, roasted flavor. Cardamom pods are available at Middle Eastern and Indian markets.

1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
12 cardamom pods
8 whole cloves
1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Place the first 6 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook until spices smoke, becoming fragrant and turning dark, shaking pan constantly (about 5 minutes). Stir in nutmeg. Remove from heat; cool completely. Place spice mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Store in an airtight container.

Yield: 1/4 cup

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

2 other Indian dishes- one with salmon and one vegetarian new
      #124341 - 11/21/04 01:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Salmon Kalia in Panch Phoron Sauce

A favorite of the Bengalis in eastern India, kalia is traditionally made with the local, strong-tasting, freshwater fish called rui or katla, which belong to the carp family. We made this dish with salmon, but you can also use sea bass, shrimp, lobster, or crab.

6 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
1 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
2 teaspoons Panch Phoron Blend
4 cups thinly sliced onion (about 1 large)
8 ounces peeled Yukon gold potato, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1 pound tomatoes
2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed zucchini
1 cup water
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
5 serrano chiles, halved and seeded
1 medium tomato, cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges (about 8 ounces)
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Rub salmon fillets with 1/2 teaspoon salt and turmeric; cover and refrigerate 5 minutes. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fillets; cook 1 minute on each side. Remove fillets; cover and set aside. (Fish need not be fully cooked.)
Combine 2 teaspoons oil and Panch Phoron Blend in pan; cover and cook for 30 seconds, shaking pan constantly. Add onion and potato; stir-fry for 6 minutes or until vegetables begin to brown, stirring frequently.

Place 1 pound tomatoes in a food processor; process until pureed. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, tomato puree, zucchini, and the next 4 ingredients (zucchini through garlic) to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in yogurt until well blended.

Return the fillets to the pan, carefully nestling them into the vegetable mixture. Arrange the chiles and tomato wedges on top of the vegetable mixture; cover and cook 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with Garam Masala and cilantro.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 443 (43% from fat); FAT 20.9g (satfat 4.7g, monofat 8.3g, polyfat 5.1g); PROTEIN 37.8g; CARBOHYDRATE 22.1g; FIBER 4.4g; CHOLESTEROL 113mg; IRON 2.8mg; SODIUM 493mg; CALCIUM 89mg;
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2001

Lentils with Eggplant and Garam Masala

Store the remaining Garam Masala in an airtight container in the freezer for up to six months. Use it to season tofu, couscous, and steamed vegetables.

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoons Garam Masala
1 cup chopped tomato
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (1-pound) eggplant, peeled and chopped
1 cup dried lentils
4 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 bay leaves
2 cups chopped zucchini
4 1/2 cups hot cooked basmati rice

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and Garam Masala; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and eggplant; sauté 7 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
Add lentils, water, salt, and bay leaves to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in zucchini; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice.

Totals include Garam Masala.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups lentil mixture and 3/4 cup rice)

CALORIES 447 (7% from fat); FAT 3.3g (satfat 0.6g, monofat 1.5g, polyfat 0.8g); PROTEIN 17g; CARBOHYDRATE 90.6g; FIBER 12.4g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; IRON 4.5mg; SODIUM 587mg; CALCIUM 56mg;
Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2002

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 226 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1985

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review